rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Ken Gillings death
Alan
Site Admin

I have just heard that Ken Gillings has died.

Details from the 1879 site.
It seems Ken drowned while snorkelling at Cape Vidal. The loss of Ken cannot be emphasized too highly ,
the death of Ken will have ramifications throughout the AZW & Boer War Fraternities , Ken was a
busy man , always working on projects here there and everywhere , who knows what will become of these .

As well as the AZW, he was an expert and guide on the Boer War and other aspects of South African military history.
First David Rattray, then Rob Gerrard now Ken Gillings. This is a real shock.

Our sincere condolences to his family.

http://northernnatalcourier.co.za/62292/tributes-pour-to-a-great-historian-and-military-gentleman-ken-gillings/

I will pass on any further information when available.

"Ken Gillings is a retired military man and has conducted tours around the battlefields of KwaZulu-Natal for over 40 years. He conducts tours of an elementary or technical nature to the scene
of all actions in KwaZulu Natal. He has undertaken extensive research into South African Battlefields, especially those of KwaZulu Natal and has written numerous articles and books on the subject.
Ken chaired the Anglo-Boer War Centenary Committee in KwaZulu-Natal. He is also registered for the Kruger National Park and all KwaZulu Natal Parks as well as being a registered Culture Guide
for KwaZulu-Natal. He has studied the history, heritage and traditions of the �Land of Heaven� since his school days and has spent a great deal of time exploring the rural areas of KwaZulu-Natal,
which he knows intimately. He has lectured extensively on Zulu culture and the Zulu Dynasty"

Last edited by Alan on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
peterw

Desperately sad news and my thoughts are with his family and friends.
Ken Gillings
Robert John

Very upsetting -- a tremendous loss.

His wife, Heather spoke briefly on ECR paying tribute to the wonderful life (especially outdoors) that they had enjoyed with their family
I will miss his brilliant battlefield tours (mainly the annual SAMHS ones). His ability to convey both sides of the engagements. Using Afrikaans on ABW sites but personally his loud Zulu battle cry on the Isandlwana battlefield will forever be a fond memory

Hamba Kahle Ken

UBIQUE
(Retired regimental Sergeant-Major Natal Field Artillery)
mike snook 2

Deeply saddened to learn that Ken has gone. He was a gentleman. I last saw him about 2 years ago at the Battlefields Country Lodge, when he kindly helped me out with a number of phone calls to a landowner to arrange access for a British Army war studies party I was leading at the time. Typical of him. He could never do enough for people. Sad news.

M
Ken Gillings death