rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Keith Smith

Rich

There was a very active 'old boys' net' in the 1870s and Col. F.A. Thesiger had served in 1872 as aide-de-camp to Queen Victoria. It is likely that this sort of job placed him in a very prominent position for later plums when he was promoted to Major-General (his Lieutenant-General rank was only local to SA).

KIS
Peter Ewart

Rich

He was picked for the Zulu campaign because he was the man on the spot, as GOC, Cape Colony (or SA). There was no-one else at hand to put Frere's policy into action.

Thesiger wasn't sent out from England to fight the Zulu. It was, of course, as Commander in Chief down at the Cape that he arrived in S Africa in March 1878, and I daresay he never gave a thought to the possibility that he would, within a few months, be carefully planning the logistics of a war in Zululand, far to the NE of the usual British military involvement in S Africa and against a people with whom the Colony (or the British generally) had no history of conflict, whether from the Cape or from Natal (since the beginning of British responsibility for the latter nearly 40 years earlier). It was a different story down at the Cape and he was into action almost immediately with yet another Cape Frontier War, where the likes of Maqoma, Moshoeshoe, Sandile, Sarhile & Hintsa, etc. etc., had kept his predecessors on their toes for many decades.

It was not to be long before Frere pointed Thesiger up towards Natal, however. With regard to why he was chosen for the Cape job in the first place, Keith's suggestion seems to hold water and there were probably many others who would, equally, have fitted the bill through similar patronage. Perhaps the circumstances of Cunynghame's removal dictated the necessity for haste? On the other hand, perhaps his sound record - and simply chance of circumstances - put him in the front of the queue?

The planning of the invasion of Zululand is a fascinating topic. The military aspects were completely dominated by the transport requirements and these were dictated by the topography and the established necessary local modes of transport, supply & re-supply. If he didn't get them right he could presumably forget about any fighing. From the middle of 1878 to the middle of 1879 his thoughts must have been dominated by the very special - and thorny - needs of transport throughout Zululand.

With regard once again to his personality, even Norris-Newman, who did criticise the General's strategy "after the event" (although was far removed from the obnoxious know-all portrayed ridiculously in a certain film) - was quick to print publicly and promptly that the General had been extremely kind to N-N, even in the midst of the former's shock at the defeat at Isandlwana.

I suspect the lack of a full length biography (as opposed to articles etc) is in common with countless other lieut- and major-generals of Britain's Victorian army. Many of them compiled memoirs & others were the subject of the staple hagriographic eulogies but by far the majority have disappeared without trace and, without Isandlwana, so would Chelmsford. Indeed, one or two of his direct descendants have had rewarding careers and perhaps taken the heat off him a little. Other than the motive behind French's defence of Chelmsford in the '30s I suspect there has been very little genuine publishable interest. I agree with you that it would be very different now and let's hope JY gets some encouragement.

Peter
Rich

Peter:
I hope so. I look forward to that book authored by John. Anything to expand all our knowledge of the AZW and its participants. And btw the mantra today in publishing is "marketing". Get a nice title on that book about Thesiger and it'll make another fine addition to the AZW bibiliography.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Writing to his family on 24 October 1878, Harness remarked of Chelmsford:

On Tuesday I went to dine with the general ...; he was very pleasant as he always is - I like him very much[.]

Paul
Michael Boyle

Interestingly Lord C. prior to his elevation to the Peerage at least, seems to have gone by Fred rather than Frederick amongst his friends anyway. ( Too bad, I liked that scene in ZD where Vereker addresses the GOC as Frederick!). For a taste of some of his correspondence to Major General Inglis, including a response to his father's letter to Wellington attempting to get him into the Grenadier Guards and some of his letters from the Crimea see :

http://www.inglis.uk.com/lordchelmsfordsletterstomajgeninglis.htm

It shows some of his less guarded side perhaps and his take on the 'Redan' might seem a bit cruel toward the ORs. [Ignore the headings, the page is a trifle botched, it seems to indicate some corespondence from Zululand which is not forthcoming unfortunately.]

As much as I'd like to demonize the man (having been first introduced to him by TWOTS and Peter O'Toole's portrayal in ZD) I found it, through my reading, at first more and more difficult and now impossible to do so (the occaisional cheap shot aside!) and this in spite of no biography. One is forced to assemble bits and pieces from widely varied sources and attempt to temper much of the simplistic rhetoric directed against him through many A-ZW books. He was of course responsible for the tragedy at Isandlwana but I can't help feel that we still don't know the complete story as to the proverbial reason "why?". I've got some ideas that more reading will hopefully fill out. Lord C. is proving to be a difficult man to satisfactorily decipher.

What are the best available sources for reading more about the man and less about the figure?

Thanks,

Michael
Chelmsford Bio
Chris

Hi,

Has anyone checked to see if there are any unpublished manuscripts / Thesis on him.?

My partner who was at Teachers training college in Pinetown tells me that a well known history person there was busy with a Phd on Chelmsford.?
Rich

Chris...that would be interesting...just wondering if perhaps there's a clearing house for UK Phd papers....I'm a bit beyond the pale to directly know...
Damian O'Connor

There was a Ph.D written on Chelmsford in South Africa by D.Matthews, University of South Africa 1986. Also Chelmsford wrote a paper on infantry tactics for the Journal of the United Services Institute (India) and was a member of the Correponding member of the Council of the Royal United Services Institute 1867-74 whereupon he took up a position on the council proper. Given his service in Bombay - where he knew Frere - and Abyssinia, it seems that he was capable, thinking soldier.
Chelmsford Bio
Chris

Damian O'Connor wrote:
There was a Ph.D written on Chelmsford in South Africa by D.Matthews, University of South Africa 1986. Also Chelmsford wrote a paper on infantry tactics for the Journal of the United Services Institute (India) and was a member of the Correponding member of the Council of the Royal United Services Institute 1867-74 whereupon he took up a position on the council proper. Given his service in Bombay - where he knew Frere - and Abyssinia, it seems that he was capable, thinking soldier.

Hi ,

Thats the one. I did not want to name names. A bit of anecdotal nonsense.. apparently the person in question used to walk around with a T-shirt emblazoned with "Chelmsford is my Hero" . He went off to the UK to do further research and when he came back the T-shirt apparently went into the cupboard to never be seen again.

I found a further entry at the abcbook.co.za site

French Gerald "Lord Chelmsford and the Zulu War" London Bodley Head 1939 R1750.00 Unfortunately already SOLD.

So much to know -- So little time
Peter Ewart

Chris

There are a couple of copies available on abebooks.com - make sure you're sitting down first.

Peter
Damian O'Connor

Chris,
Maybe the T-Shirt is available on E-Bay? And just how high would the bids go if D.Matthews knew it was up for auction? Actually, as I remember the thesis was a lot about transport difficulties - this was the good bit - but then went on to condemn Chelmsford as incompetent. However, it all seemed a bit half-hearted, as if his tutor had insisted on this interpretation - not that academics are ever anything less than totally objective of course. Rolling Eyes
Damian
Keith Smith

Damian

The thesis, entitled Lord Chelmsford: British General in South Africa, was written by Jeff Mathews (one 't',) for a D. Litt. et Phil. degree at UniSA. I hope to be able to make a copy of it this coming May on my next visit.

You are confusing this work with his Master's thesis at Uni. of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, called Lord Chelmsford and Problems of Transport and Supply During the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879, of which I already have a copy.

KIS
Steven Sass

Rich,

Although I enjoy your commentary very much and often agree with you, I must say I was rather astounded to see you holding out Monty as the model type of General that should be emulated. Granted he had success against the Afrika Korps, by which time they were practically cobbling together their equipment with rubber bands and glue, with chances for resupply non-existent. However fast forward to D-Day and beyond for an accurate portrait of his true skills and personality. His slow movements and inability to take Caen in even close to his self imposed time table is a more truthful glimpse at his tactical ability and a revelation of his delusional opinion of himself. Yes, it was a clever attempt to spin it as an intentional maneuver to fix German armor so the Americans could break out further west, but what it really proved was only his inability to accept responsiblity for his own ineptness. Without bothering to mention his many inane and/or inflammatory comments, usually motivated by jealousy, one must jump forward again to the crown jewel of his blunders. Without belaboring either the strategy or tactics of Operation Market Garden, important bits of the final results can be examined. First the operation did not accomplish it objective; however in terms of lives wasted that issue almost becomes secondary. It seems difficult to pin down exact casualty figures, but the numbers that appear to pop up most often are: 13,000 Allied troops killed, another 4000 wounded and an additional 6000 British paratroopers captured. Even if these figures are off by a couple thousand, Market Garden makes Isandlwana appear as a mere skirmish by comparison. According to the book 'Monty: The Field Marshall, 1944-1976' by Hamilton, he is characterized as "arrogant, opinionated and self serving,"---a description that is realistically shared by many. In no way can I view him as a down to earth, soldier's soldier.

On to Lord Chelmsford-As was previously pointed out, prior to the Zulu war he also had success leading troops in battle. What many critics seem to miss completely is that he lead the British Army to victory in the Anglo-Zulu War, period. He could have easily been mentally crushed after the disaster at Isandlwana. However I believe it shows the strength of his character that he was able to learn from his mistake, regroup and soldier on until his objective had been met. Furthermore, I don't think it can be argued that the Zulus did not play a decisive part in the end result of the Isandlwana engagement; achieving complete tactical surprise, attacking with a 25-1 numerical superiority and stunning the garrison with the ferocity, speed and courage of their assaults. Considering the circumstances I doubt if the GOC was Wolseley, Roberts, Kitchener, Napier or any other great General of the era one could name, the end result would have been all that different.

Best to all and nothing personal Rich,

Steven
Damian O'Connor

Dear Keith,
I think you will find a lot about transport in the D.Lit thesis as he probably incorporated his MA work in it. You should be able to get it through your local university library.
Damian
Chelmsford and the Invasion of Zululand
Chris

Hope this is OK here --seeing as we are talking about Chelmsford.

One of those "what -if "

If Isandlwana had not happened and the slow plodding on towards Ulundi had taken place , was there any chance ( bearing in mind the time delay ) of the home office getting to know what was on the go and recalling Chelsmford.?

As I understand the British home office ( if that is the correct term ) was not up to speed as to what was happening in Natal And Zululand.?

Thanks ( and please excuse the ignorance on my part )
Chelmsford bio