rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Remaking of Zulu - Actors
ANDY LEE

As I've posted before you could never equal the original Zulu or better the original actors, however, if a new updated version was to be produced which current actors could play the key parts. I would like to see Margareta Witt played by Britney Spears for one.
Barbara Grant

When you fictionalize, a lot of things can be done. I suspect a "remake" of "Zulu" in our time would look very different from the 1964 flick. I doubt whether Brittney Spears would be given the role of Miss Witt. I rather suspect (if the character occurred at all) she'd be played by someone like a Jodie Foster or a Cate Blanchett. In the revised version, she'd grab a gun to aid British soldiers (many of them portrayed as in need of help) and her efforts would be worthy of VC consideration. In fact she, and not Cpl. Schiess, would probably be the one who saves Chard from a Zulu hit. Smile
ANDY LEE

Nice thread Barbara - thanks.
a.j

Well the remake of Zulu would have to be very historically accurate so I wouldn't have the character of Mrs Witt in at all!
Peter Ewart

Exactly. If a remake were made at any time, obviously there would, once again, be liberties taken with the facts ("for commercial reasons" as they always say) but surely the opportunity would now be taken to ditch all the howlers such as the awful intrusion of the so-called "Margareta" and her father; the orders give by the King at Ulundi to attack the post while still allowing Jack Hawkins to beat the Zulu army to RD by some hours; and even the arrival of the lancers or dragoons all the way from Aldershot just as quickly - three or four months early!!!

I've never seen one of these "remakes" but presumably they ignore the previous script and, if necessary, the characters, in order to do a completely new film, but with the same title? In which case, it wouldn't be so much as a "remake" as simply a new attempt at portraying the story of the defence of Rorke's Drift? And presumably it gets a new title? Or what?

But, please, no "Miss Witt"! Just the proper George Smith instead of that silly little woman and her even sillier dad. Wonderful acting, yes - but it was a witless idea to include them, whereas a "Wittless" film would have been much better.

Peter
Barbara Grant

Peter, I agree. Appreciated your "Witty" pun.

There's another issue here, too, that of special effects vs. story. So many films nowadays seek to attract a very young crowd (age group 15-22 or so) with high-tech hardware effects, so that they'll keep coming back to the theater time and again for the thrill of it. Oftentimes, story is sacrificed in the process. (Disclaimer: I do not mean to suggest that any member of this forum within that age group would prefer a mindless hardware flick to the actual story of RD.)

I suspect that is why today's "remakes" focus on hardware-intensive subjects, and why good stories that have no need for special effects (like "Sunset Boulevard," for instance) are not "remade" in film.

Barbara
Zulu - The Remake
ANDY LEE

Peter - do you not think every good film needs an attractive young lady in it, even Zulu.
Diana Blackwell

Andy,
There's nothing wrong with attractive young women in movies...but "every good film needs one"???

What about:
Lawrence of Arabia
2001: A Space Odyssey
Midnight Express
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Great Escape
Shawshank Redemption
My Dinner With Andre
etc?
Dawn

And

Saving Private Ryan.
Winner of 5 Oscars

I remember a need for 'eye candy' being discussed on one of the threads on the old forum.

Dawn
Peter Ewart

Andy

I agree with Diana. If there had been a woman within miles of Rorke's Drift on 22 January, by all means include her/them. If not, then don't. Simple as that.

If any remake is to be seen as a bit of escapism in the same way as a novel (or bit of light pulp-fiction) might be, then no doubt some bimbo will be included. If an effort is made next time to portray, instead, what actually happened, then obviously no-one has to worry about finding a successor to Jack Hawkins or Ulla Jacobssen - or, indeed Mangosuthu Buthelezi! I suppose Witt could be portrayed on Shiyane with field glasses from lunchtine onwards & then shown pelting down the slope as fast as he could, but a stunt-man or an extra would probably do for that.

I think Hawkins and Jacobssen were excellent by the way - they just had no business being there. I suppose Prebble is the culprit. At the time, of course, I was as entranced by their performance and of the film itself as was everyone else. Forty-one years later, I'm either more cynical or hopefully more discerning, and possibly interested less in escapism than in history. That's the way most of us go, I suppose, but at 14 years old I wouldn't have changed a thing, of course!

That's probably why, not having seen "Zulu Dawn" until my mid-50s, I didn't know whether to chuckle or choke, and solved it by chucking it into the drawer containing my young sons' Zorro & Dennis the Menace DVDs, as they might appreciate some of it while still young.

Peter
Coll

Guns, Girls and a Good Ol' Fight.

Ingredients that usually draw many to watch certain films.

However, 'Zulu Dawn' (although I personally enjoy it) should really be the film to be remade, as 'Zulu' really is an epic film and still much appreciated by enthusiasts.

Therefore, if the re-imagined version of 'Zulu Dawn' is a success, filmed in a way that people, especially the AZW community, enjoyed, then maybe an attempt at remaking 'Zulu' would also be considered.

This way, a film company may be able (with difficulty) to bring the story of Isandlwana to the big screen, with the same epic feeling as the original 'Zulu', which the original 'Zulu Dawn' tends to lack.

There are so many incidents that actually happened in the battle at Isandlwana which were excluded from 'Zulu Dawn', that a remake showing more of the events and participants, could make it a blockbuster historical/war/action movie.

I don't think 'Zulu' should be touched, until it is seen what they do with a 'Zulu Dawn' remake.

Forewarned is forearmed !

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

And vice versa too - there are many occurrences in the film Zulu Dawn which didn't happen!

I don't know much (or anything really) about remakes, but surely a new film about Isandlwana wouldn't have to be called "Zulu Dawn" - in fact presumably wouldn't want to be so called, given that remakes surely normally attempt to re-do a previously successful film in order to cash in on its famous name, not resurrect one which had been a flop.

I think an attempt at a film about Isandlwana would surely have a new name and would also try to distance itself completely from the bizarre "plot", script and agenda of "Zulu Dawn."

Peter
Coll

Peter

Yes. I mention 'Zulu Dawn' just to clarify which of the two films that I would like to see remade, as in, totally different, strongly cast, gripping script, attention to detail, re-titled, etc. etc., as the real events are even more exciting than any 'made up' situations, and the participants who were really there are far more fascinating than any 'created' characters.

No wonder I read that 'Zulu Dawn' was a missed opportunity, because if a film about Isandlwana was being thought about back then, there was the chance to make an absolutely brilliant movie.

As you also mention, there were scenes in 'Zulu Dawn' showing things that didn't happen, which, hopefully, would be corrected, as the real events and participants should have qualified well enough to be included, without opting for alternatives.

The scale of the battle itself, the mountain, the oncoming Zulu army, the camp defenders struggling back to camp, escaping down the trail, the saving of the Colours. I mean, all the elements are there for an excellent film, without inventing anything.

I've read several postings saying that 'Zulu' inspired many (including myself) to pursue an interest in Rorke's Drift and the AZW, but none seemed to mention about 'Zulu Dawn' having the same effect, as it had no real epic quality (I feel) to create the impact needed to catch people's attention.

Now a new film about Isandlwana that manages to accomplish something like this, would definitely be on the road to success, as well as possibly introducing new enthusiasts to the AZW campaign.

As 'Zulu' is still highly regarded, I really do feel an attempt should be made to bring Isandlwana and all the participants involved to the big screen, which would be far superior to 'Zulu Dawn' and be the perfect 'movie' representation of the events during an incredible battle, demonstrating the courage of the men on both sides.

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

The use of the word remake, really means (to me anyway) the retelling of the subject matter (Isandlwana) using a different approach, as mentioned previously, being new screenplay, casting (obviously), attention to detail, etc. etc., but still about the same historical event covered in 'Zulu Dawn'.

The films covering Custer's Last Stand at the Little Bighorn, give an idea how the same event can be made into a movie several times, without actually copying much or all of the previous film scripts.

They Died With Their Boots On. starring Errol Flynn.

Custer Of The West. starring Robert Shaw.

Son Of The Morning Star. starring Gary Cole. (this was a mini-series, but I felt was the best of the 3, containing more accurate details, showing more of a rout, than an actual stand by the whole command)

The last title I mentioned above is a good example of how there is a chance that a new film about Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift could really try to accomplish getting more of the facts right, by staying as near to the real events as possible.

The dramatic battlefield at Isandlwana and the sheer amount of men involved in the fight, with all the incidents and interesting participants included, really would create a magnificent film.

I mean, could you imagine it on the big screen ?

Fantastic.

Coll
Remaking of Zulu
ANDY LEE

Diana/Dawn

Please accept my apologies, the thread was only really tongue in cheek in an attempt to kick start the topic. Also a vain plea to get Britney Spears in any remake!

And