rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
At the risk of being deemed ignorant...
Clueless

I bring, I'm afraid, yet another "was he or wasn't he there" question - but I was most impressed by the help users gave to another with such a query and am waiting patiently for my library to get a copy of Holme's "The Noble 24th" on my behalf...

Any-ho, does the name Dowler appear anywhere in that book??? I myself am Welsh - but have traced my Dowler line to Worcestershire. My grandfather once took my mother to a public house in the Welsh valleys when she was a child and (according to my mother) pointed to some painting of a guy in uniform on the wall stating "See him? He's a relative - he's a Dowler that fought in the Zulu war and was given a Zulu name"...DID they go about giving "Zulu names"???

Am most curious about that story indeed and wish my grandfather was still alive so I could ask him!

Thanks in advance for any information regarding the above. Emma
peterw

There is no Dowler in the South Africa medal roll for the 24th Foot. BUT 872 Pte J Dowle 2/24th was killed at Isandhlwana. There is also 45/297 Pte W Dowle 2/3rd and 2440 Pte E Dowlen 2/21st.

There were 36,000 medals issued so I've only had a very quick look at the medal roll. Hope this helps.

Peter
Clueless

Thank you so much for your quick reply...I know there are variants in the name from my work in trying to trace the tree. Maybe there was some truth in my grandfathers words after all. I am quite intrigued by the information you've provided and most grateful (my mother has been wondering about it for years and will appreciate this information just as much as I). Again, my thanks. Emma

P.S. Would anyone happen to know whether British soldiers WERE given "Zulu names" for some reason?? - can't say I saw that in the film!
Dawn

Emma

Zulus do very often give people Zulu names, using relating to a personality trait or distinguishing feature. Your relative might have got one if he was there long enough. Otherwise, I'm sure the Zulus had a word that they used for all British soldiers. I don't know what this could have been but someone else might. It may be that the soldiers knew of it and would have said "When I was in Africa, the Zulus called us....(whatever)." And they may have come down to "I was called (whatever) by the Zulus." There would be no way on checking on this particular part of the story at all but suffice to say that it did happen.

Not much help, but there you go.

Dawn
Clueless

No Dawn, you HAVE been of help - really you have! I am in the process of (in effect!) trying to make sense of a story told "long ago" as it would appear (in speaking to my mother) that the person in the painting was pointed out to my grandfather by HIS dad...seemingly one OLD story being passed down the generations...

I have read a tale online today of one Warden C.H. Dowler who it would seem was attacked on the 13/01/1910 in S. Africa for his two front teeth...when he bit the arm of his attacker he was apparently "knocked unconscious for the period of three weeks" by a blow from a hammer...Oh dear!!! The other Warden with Dowler at that time WAS apparently given some name that (translated) meant "nasty person" or similar...

I know not whether this story of a Dowler has ANY kind of link to my grandfather's story - but would very much like to decipher that tale once and for all!! Again, my thanks - I am no expert on such matters and appreciate ANY help!!!! Emma
At the risk of being deemed ignorant...