rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Views Of The Nek From The Bottom Of The Slope West-East
Colin

I�ve seen numerous photographs of the Isandhlwana battlefield, including the start of the Fugitives Trail, but are there any colour photographs of the nek from the bottom of the West slope up towards the nek, giving a good idea of length and gradient ?

This specific area is of interest to myself at the moment, plus if possible, images of the NW, West and SW slopes and sides of the mountain, including the area of Shepstone�s stand and lower levels

I�d very much like to see these areas in much more detail and angles, in relation to the mountain itself and the nek from them.

There are images on the net, but not in-depth for someone not having visited the area.

Many thanks for any help given
timothylrose

Coll - can you be a bit more explicit - maybe a map of some sort indicating your interpretation of the orientation - see what I can do if there is clear views when we are there for the 140th
Colin

I�ve been wanting to get to know in detail the western side of the mountain and the terrain leading away from it to the NW, W and SW, hopefully to the same extent as is known on the side where the battlefield is located.

I know in the West it is really just the area where the Right Horn came round and where on the slopes Shepstone and his NNC made a stand, but I would be keen to know the specific aspects of this whole area in relation to the mountain itself, with various distanced photographs.

Mt Isandhlwana can seem at times just 2-dimensional, mostly only seeing the side where the battle took place and the southern end in books, whereas knowing more about the western side and the surrounding terrain gives it then a 3-dimensional feel in detail, rather than just glimpses of in photos, from the distance, or aerial images.

However, there is the chance that the areas in question are overgrown, or too precarious to closely study for gaining the bigger picture so to speak, and not necessarily worth trying to explore it in serious research.

Personally, if I had been able, obviously with the necessary professional guides, precautions, etc. would have made a point of doing a detailed study of these areas in colour photographs, measurements, etc.

I�m not sure it has ever been done, as I�ve never seen collections of images and detailed info of it in any books I�ve got or had, but as I say, it may have been considered surplus to requirements regarding the conflict, and not important enough to cover more fully.

As for the western slope leading up to the nek where the column(s) went up to get to the eastern side, any images I�ve seen show it to be quite steep, even for a man on foot not just wagons, etc

Thanks for the offer, but I fear it is too difficult a task and needing a great deal of forethought in planning, etc., to consider its true value to the subject as a whole, or more seen as a personal project that I am interested in.

I was going to ask Ian Knight if he studied it himself and took photos over the years, but I have cancelled my memberships on the FB Groups
Rusteze

Here are a couple of photos that might help. Both taken by Frank Allewell and his copyright.

Steve

Many thanks

Yes, it is images like this plus much closer, ground-level, gradually pulling back to give each terrain location and distance from the mountain itself, plus moving North/Northwest and also moving backwards to the immediate west
Views Of The Nek From The Bottom Of The Slope West-East