rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
AZW Participant Special Order Colt Peacemaker
Colin

John Young

If you are out there good sir, do you know this individual who is supposed to have been involved in the Zulu War 1879 and the gun was also used in the Bambatha Rebellion 1906.

They state in the link his name, think also on the underside of the Colt Peacemaker chambered for the same calibre as the Adams revolver, also it is a special or custom order before he went on campaign.

It is assumed he is Swedish, but I�m dubious about the details -

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-zulu-wars-named-colt-single-action-army-revolver-in-45-boxer-made-in-1876-serial-24799?variant=30176479543365

I�m awaiting a book about the British Colt Peacemaker, not connected in any way to the auction item

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peacemaker-British-Model-Keith-Cochran/dp/0936259116/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&i.e.=UTF8&qid=1542214531&sr=1-1&keywords=Colt+revolver+British

If anybody might know this man, it is you

Thanks in advance

Coll
Colin

Further to the above.

With the grateful help from another forum, seem to have found very interesting details about the owner of this gun, not however involved in the AZW 1879.

Also, having now acquired the British Peacemaker book, it does seem to state on quick glance that several hundred Colt Peacemakers chambered for the .450 Boxer cartridge was sent to England from about 1867 over 15 years.

Obviously zero mention of Col Durnford having acquired one, but as there were private purchases of revolvers by British officers, who knows right...

Interestingly there is on the flap of the back cover this little bit of info -

�One Peacemaker revolver is known to have been in the Second Afghan War but none known to have been at the massacre of Isandhlwana (1879) in the Zulu War where the British Army received a defeat that was greater than that suffered by the United States Cavalry at the Little Bighorn (1876) in Montana�

I�m delighted that this book on British Colt Peacemakers has actually referenced Isandhlwana in its contents, as it does seem to suggest the author quite likely done some research on it...albeit not confirming its inclusion in the hands of any British officer...so not exactly the end of the story, or the fact an RE Colonel had it in his possession on the battlefield.
AZW Participant Special Order Colt Peacemaker