rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
RebelArtist1277

Mr. Everett:

I am in no way trying to "steal" the information I requested. I have two roster books on the Civil War coming out this year, and I know the hard work that goes into acquiring that information!!!

Yes, I do believe charging $50 for a book is a bit much. When I publish my books, the publisher will more than likely charge the same amount for a 300-400 page book, which I think is really ripping people off!! I can see if it is 800-1,000 pages or something like that but $40-$50 for a 300-400 page book?

Mr. Everett with all do respect drop it!

-Travis
RebelArtist1277

Mr. Everett:

The only reason why I would like the names of the men at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift is for my own personal library!! I am a huge fan of the Zulu War and would love to have the rosters for both battles, again, for my own personal use.

Honestly, how dare you insinuate that I would take someone's work and steal it. Like I mentioned in the prevois post, I am a researcher myself, and would NEVER do anything like that.

If I have to I will buy "The Noble 24th" it's no big deal.

Again drop it!

Travis
scarletto7

Rebel, I'm a huge fan of the ACW, could you send me the list of names and biographical data from your two upcoming books please. this will be just for me, but I'd really like to know everyone who fought in the ACW. I don't see why i should pay for this information, certainly if its going to cost more than 10 bucks, so if you can save me time and money, just send me everything you've got, thank you
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Clueless

Dear Travis,

I can understand your anger but please bare in mind that "Mr. Everett" does not know you personally and as a result has no way of knowing that you seek the information for personal use. You are after all a name on the web and lots WOULD seek information for means OTHER than that which is right...In requesting names of ALL men then then I'm sure you are intelligent enough to understand that regardless of your personal intention for this data such information would NO DOUBT end up in the wrong hands if the web community was a trusting one... Wink Not that "Mr. Everett" has access to any "magic" list anyways as far as I can gather...

As far as your research goes I would be most inclined if I were you to ask your local library to order a copy of "The Noble 24th" on your behalf - I did and promptly it arrived too! I paid the grand sum of 50p for this request.

May I add that I don't find your "page numbers and book price" argument particularly logical - surely content more important than length?? I myself would "cough up" my wages for a 300-400 page book that included information I WANTED - same for a 800 - 1,000 book...but quantity does not equal quality. I wouldn't buy a 300-400 book OR a 800-1,000 page book full of pants now...

Good luck with your research, Emma
RebelArtist1277

I can understand your anger but please bare in mind that "Mr. Everett" does not know you personally and as a result has no way of knowing that you seek the information for personal use.

Emma, I have emailed Mr. Everett before, and have told him that I am not that way and would never steal someone's hard work. I have also told him that I am a fellow researcher and I know the hard work that goes into acquiring the information. The reason I lashed out is because of this. I have told him before that I am not that way and he continues to assume that I would steal information.

You are after all a name on the web and lots WOULD seek information for means OTHER than that which is right...In requesting names of ALL men then then I'm sure you are intelligent enough to understand that regardless of your personal intention for this data such information would NO DOUBT end up in the wrong hands if the web community was a trusting one... Not that "Mr. Everett" has access to any "magic" list anyways as far as I can gather

I understand all this, but as I said before, I have told Mr. Everett before who I am and what I do.

May I add that I don't find your "page numbers and book price" argument particularly logical - surely content more important than length?? I myself would "cough up" my wages for a 300-400 page book that included information I WANTED - same for a 800 - 1,000 book...but quantity does not equal quality. I wouldn't buy a 300-400 book OR a 800-1,000 page book full of pants now

I do not really get what your saying with this issue. You are saying you would pay $100 for a 100 page book? That is a little gullable. The reason I am questioning the cost of this, and alot of books is because it is very hard to know exactly what you are getting when you buy books over the internet. I am hesitant because I have heard that "The Noble 24th" has good information for the men that survived Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, but, not alot of information for the men killed. Is this true?

Travis
RebelArtist1277

Rebel, I'm a huge fan of the ACW, could you send me the list of names and biographical data from your two upcoming books please. this will be just for me, but I'd really like to know everyone who fought in the ACW. I don't see why I should pay for this information, certainly if its going to cost more than 10 bucks, so if you can save me time and money, just send me everything you've got, thank you

Hello, I am in the same boat with Mr. Everett on this issue. The rosters I have took numerous hours (too much to count), numerous eyeaches and time away from my family to acquire. There is no reasonable explanation to just give you the information. Especially since I have signed a contract and committed to two books. You will just have to wait for the books to come out!

Sorry!

Travis
scarletto7

Travis, i too am a researcher and author, like i said I'd love you to send all your hard work to me, i promise i wont use it in anyway, I've told you twice and you can see from that i must be honest.

I guess you can see i am being sarcastic, travis thats why books are written for people to buy, otherwise we would be sending all our hard work to anyone for them to read, use, distribute. Just because you say you are what you are, still doesn't mean you are what you are.

Can you imagine your feelings after sending me all your hard work, for it to be plastered on the internet or published in some article??? Because i said i was honest.

So if someone came out with the complete roster and biographical details for everyone at Isandhlwana, in a 100 page book, you wouldnt pay a $100 for it????

A small price to pay for years and years of research I'd think, but well you just want someone to give it to you Shocked
Alekudemus

Personally I think $100 for 100 pages of new information is very cheap. . People who frequent this forum are far more well read on the subject than the average punter and it would be a book well worth buying if it contained previously unpublished research. I certainly don't consider myself gullible but I would find the money somehow.

Most books are a rehash of old ground with a few tidbits of new info. 100 pages of it? I wish Very Happy
Clueless

ME "Gullible"??? - DUM de DUM...I'm neither gullible nor stupid Mr.Travis...I hold my argument that it's not NUMBER of pages my friend - it's what's in 'em!!! Wink

Emma
Clueless

In addition: Scarletto7 - You crack me up!!!! Such GENIUS in making a point...

Any chance I could sue Travis for "insinuating I was a fool" and use the winnings to order more 50p per order books from my library?? - JOKE Travis (mop ya brow!) no hard feelings IN THE WORLD - we disagree on this issue very clearly...no matter, WHO CARES??? You are after all a web name to me and I to you...GET THE POINT though that you are just that: A web name (as we all are!) I could say I'm a scientist/dentist/dustman...I'm not (I teach) but get the point that on-line you are what you SAY you are...doesn't mean you are truthful! I could post a million times professing I'm a scientist...doesn't make it true now does it? I could PM too with the same...YAWN! I STILL WOULDN'T BE A SCIENTIST!!!! Wink

I disagree with you Travis - but "Hey-ho" not one to let it bother me - don't think it really matters. Betting you're a nice bloke - disagreeing with you doesn't mean I think you a bad person. Made me smile that you called me gullible though when you seem to think sending somebody PMs makes you somehow truthful and right...dum de dum de dum dum dum...

All the best, Emma
Alekudemus

a PM is never honest.... Weapons of mass destruction....Loans for peerages....oh I see !....different type of PM....
Clueless

Now THAT made me laugh!!!!! Emma Laughing
Clueless

In answer to your question Travis: Holme's work is WORTH THE MONEY! If at all unsure go to your library but if you seek list of names, personal accounts by individuals and even drawn maps of the area concerned then look at Holme's work. I take my hat off to the guy - nice books!

You don't have to buy on-line anyways - get ya library to order them! THEN you can have a "look" BEFORE you buy on-line (probably cheaper!)

Norman Holme = dedication!!!

Emma Wink
RebelArtist1277

Scarletto,

I understand your point. But, for someone to basically call me a thief is ridiculous. You would have to be pretty stupid to use the material in a book anyway. Copyright? hello?

I am really just looking for the Royal Artillery and other imperial units. I know that the NNC are impossible to get because most were natives. I did go ahead and buy The Noble 24th, so this whole argument is mute. I never asked Mr. Everett for free information, I told him that would gladly give him a fee for his troubles and mailing.

Travis
Clueless

How you find "The Noble 24th" Travis? I rate it myself but am yet to read the work of others. You find much of the information you wanted?
All the best, Emma
Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift rosters