rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandhlwana Aftermath Investigation Documentary ?
Colin

It was interesting to read recently that there is going to be a film made about the discovery of Richard III�s remains by a determined woman who spent years researching where he may be found.

In the article it states that it was a good example of the amateur against the establishment, intuition against academia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-England-leicestershire-54015723

Considering this was well before 1879, I wondered if Timewatch or such like, would be interested in a documentary based on Edward Durnford and Kristine Herron�s books, the latter including the recently discovered Isandhlwana Papers.

They read like a whodunnit, with the area of Durnford�s Last Stand becoming almost a crime scene, with the allegations of evidence tampering, non-disclosure of relevant materials at the time, COI panel selection interference, plus various other mysteries.

The participation of a professional battlefield detective, investigative reporter, lawyer and even a crime scene investigator, as well as including an art detective as part of the team who would try to track down any undiscovered Isandhlwana paintings, all of which could make compelling television.

Even in my Investigative Journalism books, it made reference that history also should be covered in a sort of forensic analysis, using the same skills present in today�s world.

It may finally put the myths to rest...

Just a thought
David Rae

I think most professionals appreciate the work of amateurs but some do sneer. I recently read a funny tongue in cheek comparison of the two: "Amateurs designed and built the Ark; professionals the Titanic!"
Colin

David

That made me smile...liked the comparison very much ! Smile

Interestingly, with mentioning the Titanic, I�ve recently added a site I found ages ago dedicated to the Official investigations/inquiries made after the disaster to my home screen, absolutely packed with information.

Although several years after Isandhlwana, being 1912, the deaths of 1,000+ civilians made front page news, yet the loss of similar numbers in the former wasn�t given the same coverage - in newspapers nor COI.

I guess the ship being on its maiden voyage, plus having rich and famous passengers on board (including W. T. Stead)made the story global.

P.S. Watched a documentary couple of years ago, there was an engraved stone discovered to apparently contain the description and dimensions of the Ark.

It was of a large circular design, seemingly based on smaller craft of the time, which was likely to have prevented capsizing too.

Can you tell I like documentaries ?

I�ve marked your amateur/professional comparison in my notes - it�s definitely a keeper ! Wink
Isandhlwana Aftermath Investigation Documentary ?