rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
War Correspondent Melton Prior In Ulundi Painting
Colin

Found this by accident, but rather than the whole thing, it�s just the painting on the first page that interests me, which I think is supposed to be Ulundi plus what looks to be a correspondent identical to Melton Prior who is drawing or writing in the midst of the action.

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.hmgs.org/resource/resmgr/Archive_/Historicon/Historicon_2012_Program.pdf

It says to the side that the artwork is by Osprey Publishing, but I don�t recall ever seeing this in the books, especially with it including the famous war correspondent -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melton_Prior

It�s probably already known about, but new to me, and I like the inclusion of Prior in a modern version of the engagement.
Alan
Site Admin

I wonder which battle the illustration on the book features? Were the 24th. at Majuba Hill?

It does seem to be Ulundi, there are Zulus visible in the background and apparently Melton Prior was there, as I think there is a well-known illustration he done of the battle in progress.

Interestingly, there appears to be a tartan glengarry on the backpack of a soldier, plus blue cuffs on their tunics.

I don�t study British infantry, so don�t know the regiment represented, I�d need to look for the units involved at Ulundi - Royal Scots Fusiliers ?
John Young

The artwork depicting the Battle of Ulundi appears in Ian Castle�s British Infantryman in South Africa 1877 - 81. The illustrations in the book are the work of Christa Hook. The book was first published in 2003 by Osprey is No. 83 in their Warrior Series.

JY
Colin

Thanks John

Never bought that book, and gradually phasing out the AZW books not directly related to my specific interests within it

Regards

Coll
War Correspondent Melton Prior In Ulundi Painting