rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Hlobane and Khambula
Jamie

Hi,

Tourist advice needed again please!

If I was staying in and around Isandlwana - using it as a base say, how easy would it be to visit Hlobane and Khambula battlefields from Isandlwana. Would it be advisable to hire a guide for the day(s) and how would I go about getting one?

Many thanks,

Jamie
Mel

Jamie
I used John Turner of Babanango Valley Lodge. He is very knowledgeable on both battles. He will take you in his 4 wheel drive and, provided the small dirt road is passable, you can drive (with a short detour to Campbell and Lloyds graves) up to the top of Hlobane and along to Devils Pass. You should then have the energy to climb down (and back up) the Pass.
You will also need the 4 wheel drive to visit Kambula. Even when dry, the road up to the battlefield is very "rutty".
I think you will also find advice on the old forum search.

Jamie

Khambula and Hlobane are pretty remote from Isandlwana, although the distance can be covered in a day. Better to stay locally and I recommend staying at Strathcona Lodge, a magnificent old style farm with a number of en suite rooms which are beautifully furnished and presented. The tariff is remarkably cheap and includes breakfast and evening meal. I can give you contact details if you want them, having stayed there many times myself. The farm is located about halfway between Dundee and Vryheid and is not very far from Conference Hill, which is also worth a visit.

To visit both sites, you would be better to use a guide as Hlobane is especially difficult to visit. I might recommend Sean Friend of Vryheid who is both a nice guy and very knowledgeable about both battles. I can give you contact details for him too. While in that area, you should also visit the iNtombe Drift. This is a bit of a drive but well worth doing. It seems a pity to travel so far and not cover all the sites, don't you think? Two nights at Strathcona would allow you to cover all this very well.
KIS
Martin Everett

Dear Jamie,
I have done both site a number of times. Sean Friend is a good choice for a guide and lives in Vryheid Contact [email protected]. Sean has cousin who runs the family farm (Strathcona) - excellent/memorable place to stay - Leonie Friend [email protected]

Mel

I did contact Sean as I was planning my SA trip in 2002. However, he stipulated that the hire of the 4 wheel drive would be in my name as would the insurance. The excess payment was high and would have made an expensive day if the vehicle was damaged in any way.
I don't know if Sean now has his own 4 wheel drive.

It is unfortunate that Hlobane is now accessible by a 4x4. The real joy is climb to the top and across the mountain and come down by the Devil's Pass - you cannot do the pass down in a vehicle. Do it on foot and the experience will last you a lifetime.

Mel

Martin
I was indeed torn on whether to walk to Devils Pass or use a 4 wheel drive.
However, on taking much advice, it seemed more trouble free than the walking alternative with all of the associated potential problems in such a remote area.
By using frequent stops along the way I really don't think that we missed anything and probably covered more of the ground. Even if the road is maintained, Hlobane will never become a Piccadilly Circus. John told me that he usually only made four trips per year as the demand was not high.