rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Myth of Iron
Peter Ewart

A month ago today the Witness ran a feature by Stephen Coan on this new Shaka biography by Dan Wylie ("Myth of Iron"). It seems a timely publication and, coming from a historian, is very welcome, although it will presumably ruffle a few feathers (what book doesn't these days?)

I will be buying it but does anyone know if I can get it (easily & quickly) in the UK? Who has read it so far? I'm sure a number of the RSA contributors on this forum will have it by now, although I hesitate this morning to ask them what they think of it as I'm sure they're all still recovering from the most monumental hangover after yesterday's events in Jo'burg.

Have any decent reviews appeared in other S African papers? What is the general reaction please?

Peter
Myth Of Iron
AMB

Peter,

I do have a copy, but must admit to not having yet read it. I got my copy from SA.

AMb
Peter Ewart

Andrew

Many thanks. I'd be interested in what you or any other reader thought of it. Six months later I still haven't purchased my copy as a number of other Africana titles have pushed it down the queue this year. I also suspect I'll have to get it from South Africa.

Anyone in SA read it?

Peter
Myth Of Iron
AMB

Sorry, Peter, but I'm currently away in 'sunny climes' at present. Home in a month or so. I'll get you a quick read out once I can get to my library.

AMB
clive dickens

Laughing
You can pre order this book on Waterstones book site it is �19.95 + postage
Clive
Myth of Iron
AMB

Peter,

Apologies for the delay. At long last, after seven months in the sun, I'm now home.

I've just sat down and paged through Wylie's Myth of Iron. It sets out to be quite a scholarly account of Shaka's life. It reads easily and grips those who have even the vaguest interest in the subject.

I might suggest that it's a useful addition to any Zulu library.

I hope this helps,

AMB
Peter Ewart

Andrew

That sounds very encouraging - thanks for the tip! I have a number of titles in the line of fire at the moment and this will be included. Thanks also to Clive, whose posting above I must have missed when it first appeared.

Peter
AMB

Peter,

Wylie's Savage Delight: White Myths of Shaka will also be of interest.
(I've got this in Pb & have not seen it as a Hb).

Andrew
Rich

And talk about "ruffling a few feather", I'd be curious to know what was the result of King Goodwill Zwelithhini's campaign started in July to "rewrite Zulu history" in his quest for changing the curent name of "KwaZulu-Natal" to "KwaZulu" arguing that only a conquered nation would allow a foreign name to be imposed on it. His comment: "The campaign represents my wish to correct what is historically wrong. It is my wish and not a demand. It is not a threat to anyone. Thesignatires are meant for me., the king and not anyone else. They will test the feeling of my people about the name of the province".
Coll

Peter

On reading about the book on the internet, I've seen 'an anti-biography' used to describe the book. Not sure of this term, as I've never seen it used before (I don't think) to describe any other previous titles about historical figures.

It also appears to strip away all the myths and legends about Shaka, describing the man, rather than the person apparently built around people's imagination.

I've no idea on the book's contents personally, but I think it may 'ruffle a few feathers' as you say. However, I've only read reviews, so can't be sure exactly.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

I've only seen Stephen's piece back in Feb. It appealed to me because it would be good to see an account of his life stripped of the many myths, coming as it does from a historian. The only other full length account I've ever had is Ritter's, which doesn't appear to pass muster these days.

Certainly many myths have accrued over the years and are presented as history today. Magema Fuze's prononcements on Shaka differed in places from, say, Ritter's published ideas, and Fuze went back an awful long way. Nowadays Shaka is routinely described as the greatest black African (or black southern African) leader of the 19th century, or at least of the first half of that century, but I have my doubts as to whether he was even the greatest black leader in his part of the world in his own lifetime.

Rich

I think the King asked for a revisionist book in about 6 months, didn't he?

Peter
Coll

Peter

The review of the book which stood out to me was on the businessinafrica site, titled Shaka Zulu - Myth of Iron.

Coll
Rich

Peter:
Supposed to have been done by September!....that's what I read....
Martin Everett

Daily Telegraph has a review of Myth of Iron today - page 20 by David Blair (any relation?) from Isandlwana.

Rich

Boy Mr. Wylie has a nice way of describing Zulu impis......i.e nothing more than "multi-functional labour gangs"....doesn't seem he believes the impis fought with tactical acumen perhaps?.....
Myth of Iron