rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
I found a GREEN!!
Clueless

I have been looking at Holme's work for DOWLER variants following a family story through generations. In my quest to find those I came across a GREEN (spelt like that minus any "e" at the end - my maiden name!)

The individual in question is one 1-24/1854 Private GREEN William. Attested 15/7/68 aged 18. Re-engaged at King William's Town 14/9/78. Served in 'H' company at St. Helena during 1876/77.

Anyone know any more about this individual? Am yet to make any connection to my family tree but a GREEN no less!!! Smile

Thanks for any reply, Emma
Clueless

Martin,
Would you have documents on this individual per chance??? ACCESS to such?? If so, how much would it cost me for you to get somebody to find such documents and send copies of them to me??? Will come clean and say I'm "skint" at the moment as in the process of moving house - but once the sale is through will be willing to pay for info. on this guy if you have it...Do you/are you likely to have it?
Let me know anyways,
All the best, Emma
Martin Everett

Dear Emma,

Is this a stab in the dark? what information do you have? Firstly, No service documents survive for soldiers killed at Isandlwana - there was no reason to keep them as there was no pension to pay.

Norman Holme went through all the pay and muster rolls - it is possible on an old roll there may be a reference to his place of enlistment. But these documents are held in the National Archives.

You may be better going through the generations in a logical fashion building up the information - census records in 1851.

If you know where the family lived there may be a report of his death in a local newspaper. Its hard research I am afraid.

Clueless

YES Martin - a "stab in the dark" indeed!!! Laughing I just hoped that MAYBE - somewhere!!! Documents on this individual would be about...seemingly not but no matter - I'm no stranger to searching the census!! I've only worked on my direct "trunk of the family tree" to date...just need to go check out my branches! Wink

THANKS for your help on this matter however!

All the best, Emma
I found a GREEN!!