rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Help with uniform identification required!!
Military_artist

Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of doing a painting from Melton Prior's drawing of The Death Of Lt. Frith which appeared as the cover page of the Illustrated London News on August 2nd 1879, and I require help identifying the main mounted gent on the left of the main group (the one supporting Frith's arm) - modern versions of this scene show this as a 17th Lancer private, but this doesn't appear to be the case in the original drawing (unless he is wearing his greatcoat). I'm trying to stay true to the original sketch, so can anybody help with the correct colours for the uniform being worn by that character? Is it supposed to be a 17th Lancer in greatcoat as somebody else has suggested to me, as I'm not convinced?

many thanks

Nigel
Making progress...
Military_artist

Aha, I have made a discovery - the character on the left is a civilian, namely Francis Francis, the Times war correspondent. So there's a challenge - anybody know what he was wearing Very Happy
Martin Everett

There is an other illustration of the same scene by Lt WW Lloyd 1/24th which was published in 'On Active Service' published in 1890 - plate 9 - with the title 'Done For'. This shows Frith and 3 members of 17th Lancers.

Kenty

Nigel,

Is there anywhere we can view your paintings?

Have you ever considered a painting of Ntombi Drift. This action seems very overlooked.

Michael.
Help with uniform identification required!!