rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
An Ulundi Ghost Story from Col. Crealock
Michael Boyle

I'd often wondered why no one had searched for the body of the Hon. W.H. Drummond after the battle of Ulundi. He seemed to have been the only MIA and as it occurred, one of only seven KIA (according to "Narrative of the Field Operations..."). Here's an interesting explanation from Col. Crealock which appeared in the 1889 "Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research" (of all things!) based on his article in the "I'm Ninety-Five" Regimental newspaper Vol. I, No.4 (April, 1885) -

http://books.google.com/books?I'd=jmoAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA433&dq=Lord+Chelmsford&as_brr=1

[Not sure how the link will appear so the story is no. IX on page 432. As you can see from the link I stumbled on it while researching Lord Chelmsford. I'm definitely going to have to refine my search criteria but for now it's proving interesting!]

I hate to admit it but it kinda sorta makes sense in a theatrical way at least!

Best

Michael
Barbara Grant

Michael,

Interesting, but "kinda sorta" makes sense? Well, I guess in the theatrical way that you mentioned.

I don't know what to think. I'm a huge offender for becoming OT, but what this reminds me of is the "Ghosts of Gettysburg" segment that sometimes airs on channels like "Discovery" in the U. S.. Oddest story there is about the two secretaries at Gettysburg College, who, after working late one night, get into the elevator, thinking that they are going down to the main floor...and despite having pressed the right button (again and again) end up in the basement.

The door opens; they look out of the elevator, and to their horror, they see a Union field hospital, orderlies motioning to them to come and help wounded victims of the battle. The horrified ladies press the buttons frantically, and eventually the elevator arrives back to street level. While they agree to speak to investigators, they refuse to speak publicly about what they saw.

Hmm. I think that until "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" is in, there will be many doubts about situations like the one you mention.

Barbara
Michael Boyle

Barbara,

Point taken, but Crealock's contention (from the Regt's newspaper) that " The absolute belief I had in having seen him that night prevented his being searched for for 18 hours" to me speaks volumns. This account was presented, by him, only six years after the fact, not some recent "wooo, wooo" of a modern outlet. I do find it a curious thing from a staff officer who didn't need to bring any more criticism down upon himself, athough Spiritualism was quite in vogue at the time.

"Proof beyond a reasonable doubt" is a legal term that we've all seen abused both in court and foreign policy and precious difficult to acertain in the A-ZW!

Best

Michael
An Ulundi Ghost Story from Col. Crealock