rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Found a Galgey
Chris Davis

I have been searching for a long lost gggrandfather of my husband and by accident found his name on the list of Rorke's Drift soldiers. He was a drummer by the name of Patrick Galgey, born about 1862 in Lancashire. I would be most interested if any has any further information about him. He didn;t win a medal or anything but we are just so thrilled to find he was at this very famous battle.
Martin Everett

Dear Chris

Sorry to say looks like a stab in the dark as they say.

2-24/1713 Dmr Patrick Galgey of D Company 2/24th who was at RD appears to have been born in Ireland - not Lancashire. He enlisted at Cork on 12/3/1865 aged 14 years - therefore born circa 1851. He was awarded the campaign medal with 1877-8-9 clasp. He is looks to be on the 1901 census living in St Marylebone London aged 49 years as a tailor and packer. Where and When he died I do not know.

Patrick Galgey
Chris Davis

Thank you so much for this information Martin. I still think it is one of the family as there is a strong Irish connection and there are not that many Galgeys around. So still one of ours. Thanks again.

Martin Everett wrote:
Dear Chris

Sorry to say looks like a stab in the dark as they say.

2-24/1713 Dmr Patrick Galgey of D Company 2/24th who was at RD appears to have been born in Ireland - not Lancashire. He enlisted at Cork on 12/3/1865 aged 14 years - therefore born circa 1851. He was awarded the campaign medal with 1877-8-9 clasp. He is looks to be on the 1901 census living in St Marylebone London aged 49 years as a tailor and packer. Where and When he died I do not know.
Found a Galgey