rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Final Draft 7' - Screenwriting Templates Programme ?
Coll

Although I have a reasonably good book on the basics of screenwriting, I had been hoping there was a computer programme available, which would be extremely helpful with script layout, etc.

On looking around various screenwriting-related sites, the title 'Final Draft 7' kept appearing, and seems to be highly recommended. As I'm unfamiliar with many aspects of the screenwriting process, I decided not to join any of the related discussion forums.

Has anyone used this item or actually owns it ?

I'm very interested to hear your opinions.

Thankyou

Coll
scarletto7

You can try out a free download of it, which may give you a real idea of what it is like.

http://www.finaldraft.com/index.php4
Coll

Scarletto7

Thanks. I'll maybe give that a try. However, I'm always a little bit unsure about downloading stuff. Not truly wise-in-the-knowledge yet of this aspect and with people talking about either a computer virus or bogus e-mails tends to make me even more apprehensive of being too adventurous on the internet. Have you tried the 'Final Draft' site yourself, possibly being interested in screenwriting also ?

Coll
scarletto7

Coll, that site is the main site for the final draft site, so should be safe to download from, and when downloaded you can always virus check it before opening.

Also a lot of internet scares are I'm afraid just that scares

Regarding scriptwriting, I've done some work for TV, on a research basis, mainly for jeremy clarkson on his Cain V.C programme, and bits and bobs for other Arnhem programmes, I'm in the beginnings of doing some scriptwriting, one on a Zulu War book and another on a Arnhem story.

Youll find a good way of doing your own script is looking at a finished script and working around that, remember time is money, and a great scene in your head may cost the budget of your company to film!!!

And get a good lawyer versed in Film law, protection is everything, hope thats helped
Coll

Scarletto7

Thanks very much.

I've been looking at many scripts, including 'Zulu Dawn', and also glancing through my screenwriting book. If 'Final Draft 7' is any good, I think I'll purchase it when I can, as I am keen to attempt a new screenplay about Isandlwana and this may assist me in making the script layout more professional.

Coll
Rich

Scarletto: "Also alot of Internet scares are I'm afraid just that scares"

You know you were right on when you said get a lawyer but I'd suggest that anyone like yourself or Coll who do those screenplays and screenwriting would do well to have a healthy skepticism when it comes to that craft. I don't think you can ever be sure about anything. The Net is great but I believe it has to be used judiciously. Just my opinion since I'm involved in what could a called a universal creative enterprise...
scarletto7

If its net scares, I'd go look at a site, which I've lost the address to at the moment which deals with them, i can honestly say since I've been online, I've only in all my years been hit by one virus, seeing i spend 3 to 4 hours a day online, I'm either lucky or protected Confused

I think it depends on what you look at like you say Very Happy

Regarding Lawyers, I'm lucky to have a great one, who has worked for me before, and at �180 a letter should be ruddy great!!! Evil or Very Mad
onwards and upwards
simon
Rich

very good..good luck me boys!
Coll

I know it's an old discussion, but I wondered if anyone has used or obtained 'Final Draft 7' since this topic was started ?

It is easy enough to use the normal Word Processor for screenwriting, however, any programme that might add a professional touch, wouldn't go amiss.

Thank you

Coll
Dawn

I do know a friend that uses it and does find it quite helpful but, because I don't use it myself, I can't offer a firm opinion. I believe it has a 'tracker' feature in it so you can track your characters throughout your script and don't lose continuty, which makes it a stronger programme than a word processor.

Dawn
Coll

Thanks Dawn

I've read comments elsewhere, but it seems to be 50/50 for and against, that makes a decision quite difficult.

I have seen and read many scripts and their layouts, but hoped this programme would be helpful.

It does cost a fair bit, but maybe in time I'll get it, perhaps when I've created a reasonable draft of a screenplay, then being able to put it in the correct format.

Thanks again

Coll
'Final Draft 7' - Screenwriting Templates Programme ?