rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Corporal William Wilson Allen
cpl.allen grand+daughter

Hi,

I'm looking for details on Cpl. William Allen, I was told when I was very young that Cpl.Allen was my Gt+++Grandfather and that he fright in the Zulu war and he was given a VC but I had forgotten this till only a few months ago. Sadly there is no older family member left, so I can ask for more details or names.

Please can anyone help me or tell me how to find out more??

Thanks,

Laurie
Kris

Hi Laurie,

Get in touch with Maj Martin Everett, curator of the Regimental Museum, he can tell you all you want to know.

Kris
thanks
cpl.allen grand+daughter

Thanks for your help. I have already got an e-mail which is helping me find out more about Cpl.Allen but I'm afraid I'm abit at a dead end at the moment. I'm trying to find out the names of my Gt. Gt Grandmothers parents of which one should be the son or daughter of Cpl. Allen. I have found out that Cpl.Allen had 2 sons and 5 daughters but so far, I can't found out the names of his children which may help me find the link that is missing.

thanks, Laurie
Rob Dumelow

According to Rorke's Drift by Adrian Greaves, Allen is mentioned on the Chard, Bourne and Dunbar rolls. It lists him as having 5 children born of the following dates: May 1877, July 1878, August 1880, April 1882 (twins). The twins are noted as probably dying around 1883.

So if you know the rough birthday of your ancestor you could tentatively get some proof.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Rob D.
Corporal William Wilson Allen