rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

Thanks..I've been reading all the previous comments and I wonder if I'm just na�ve about those battlefields thinking that they'll be OK and are in good hands. If what I've read is true one has to be concerned for the graves and the physical manifestation of the battlefields. Archaeology is always making strides and its just possible that in the future with new techniques and new methods new insights can be garnered by studying the battlefield. I firmly believe something new can always be learned and teased out from bits of physical information. Vandalism? Removing cairns? Sounds like simple desecration to me. If anything like that was done at the LBH or Gettysburg well there'd certainly an outcry. Battlefield management would be pilloried. I figure that lack of money is part of the problem but it stand to reason that if more and more tourists will be visiting some sort of accomodation with that scenario will have to be done from a security point of view.
And as far as the guides. I guess they are "story-tellers", eh? That's fine but on the other hand what is the competency to be one? I'd hope when I go one day I'd get a good one. Johnny I'll call you up! Hey he or she can embellish but I think they can still do it by "sticking to the facts". With some good old fashioned management and organization it would come off. And maybe they should take a test like those London cabbies??? Takes a while to know the lay of the land...Wink...
scarletto7

Regarding battlefield damage, Gettysburg has very recently seen 3 monuments damaged, well two nearly destroyed Crying or Very sad

I've seen enough desecration though thankfully not of the graves but certainly sites in Arnhem, worse case though was when they found a body in a slit trench couple of years back, he had been stripped of everything, how did they know? they found a plastic carrier bag under his body, hope the robber burns in hell Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
The cairns and the graves at Isandhlwana