rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
More Ideal Big Screen Movies
leightarrant

Recently a report says that hollywood is not making enough good films, with the european market doing fairly well at the box office - also Bollywood is doing very well, but not Hollywood - ultimately the great fine movie that we all love to see are few and far between, there are as many 50 new movies produced and released each month across the world, probably at least 30 from America. many of these films don't even get a cinema release. Setting aside the lord of the rings and harry Potter franchise my point is this, why don't film makers curb their moving making, and make bigger and better films of QUALITY and credibility, do less, why must they make inferior films which go straight to the home video market (knowing that many movie goers won't even be aware of these films) -some of these films are actually pretty good , but not blockbusters. Therefore, surely the movie industry should take a step back in years, make less movies, and pour more into their productions in the need for quality. This would then set a trend for perhaps the return of the big epics, big musicals and something new for the audience such as they did in the late fifties, like bringing in fancy new aspect ratio's like Cinerama, TODD AO etc etc. as they did to entice audiences away from the TV . I think James Cameron (Titanic et al.) feels the way forward is to make more movies in the 3-D format. Meanwhile here are some more great movies that play particuraly well in the WIDESCREEN auditorium..........how we miss these kind of movies:

THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)

YOUNG WINSTON (1974)

CROMWELL (1970)

HAWAII ?? well maybe not. looks good anyway

THE ROBE

WEST SIDE STORY

LAURENCE OF ARABIA

GREAT EXPECTATIONS (LEAN)

GRAND PRIX (1966) very underrated

KHARTOUM

DELIVERANCE

PAPILLON

BATTLE OF THE BULGE

THE LONGEST DAY

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
Coll

I'm of the opinion that Hollywood has 'had its day'.

I've just read a film magazine and details of remakes, 2 being of 'The Poseidon' and 'The Omen'. Whether by Hollywood or not, such lack of imagination, bores me greatly.

The only film I know about which is (maybe) worth a look, is about Jesse James - a good ol' 'real' movie about a 'real' person. Whether made badly or not, it'll be a damn sight better than most of the efforts of late.

Also, the possibility of a film about General Custer, discussed a bit in a previous topic. Only in the development stages as yet.

Remakes or 'reimagined' I understand, but of a film covering a 'real' story.

There have been quite a few films of late covering recent events, in war and life in general, but historical pictures, if made right, do give the 'epic' feel.

Apart from my favourite films that I've probably mentioned before, I tend to just watch documentaries, or programmes such as the American motorbike builders, anything that doesn't bore me to death, and I possibly can learn something from. Whether the study of volcanoes or the building of a motorcycle, I don't care, but they keep me watching - because unlike many movies of late, they are interesting.

Coll
Hollywood
Rich

The movies you have there are pretty good. But we have another time now. The environment I think that made "Zulu" in '64 doesn't exist in the movie biz anymore. It's analagous to creativity in music back in the "60's, i.e. money for new groups and new music was no object at the time. it was a time of excess. Today I think execs are scared, scared about spending millions and getting nothing back on it. They don't want to make expensive mistakes. That's why they want "sure-fire" hits. Only when they think they have that in their gut will they go ahead with the spending. In the meantime, they'll make some low-cost flicks to pay the bills and maybe just maybe get a breakout hit that returns millions on a small investment.
Me, I'd love to perhaps get a play that dramatizes the experience of the British in Zululand in 1879 and some character study. In the hands of a good director and writer, who knows what could happen if they focus on an incident or incidents? But that's another story.
More Ideal Big Screen Movies