rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Michael Boyle

Johnny H,

Before we come down too hard on Greaves for this one, one must remember that the lack of laager and/or entrenchment was the primary contemporary speculation as the reason for the defeat (along with being suckered out of camp). Lord Chelmsford actually published pre-campaign booklets specifying that columns should in fact laager but personally nixed this idea for 3 column when it was suggested at Isandlwana (much to the chagrin of some officers present) for a number of reasons. I believe the point that Mike Snook was emphasizing was that although it was supposed to be done all along that it was only after Jan 22 1879 that it was insisted upon (hind sight being such a remarkable quality!) thus Adrian Greaves is taking an old line on this one, one that has maintained much support through the decades and even today. (Not by myself of course!) Check the various lively debates we've had in this forum and the old!

Best

Michael
Johnny_H

Michael Boyle wrote:
Johnny H,

Before we come down too hard on Greaves for this one, one must remember that the lack of laager and/or entrenchment was the primary contemporary speculation as the reason for the defeat (along with being suckered out of camp). Lord Chelmsford actually published pre-campaign booklets specifying that columns should in fact laager but personally nixed this idea for 3 column when it was suggested at Isandlwana (much to the chagrin of some officers present) for a number of reasons. I believe the point that Mike Snook was emphasizing was that although it was supposed to be done all along that it was only after Jan 22 1879 that it was insisted upon (hind sight being such a remarkable quality!) thus Adrian Greaves is taking an old line on this one, one that has maintained much support through the decades and even today. (Not by myself of course!) Check the various lively debates we've had in this forum and the old!

Best

Michael

Very Happy Thx for the reply, for me its not about coming down on Greaves for anything. I really enjoyed his book "Across the Buffalo" page for page, as I am really enjoying How Can Man Die Better. I am just looking for things that I notice differ from the two titles, It would probley be more comprehensive to go between HCMDB and Greaves "Isandlwana" seeing as they both single handedly deal with the battle itself.

I am just "Giving it time to soak in" and trying to discern differances between the two narratives. I Do agree with your post, my point about Greaves though was that he has a few instances were he says that "Chelmsford and his staff neglected their own procedures as stated befor the invasion" and my question is was "lagering of wagons" the documented procedure? prior to Isandlwana as Greaves seemed to suggest.

Ill be sure to check a few of the subjects on the forum for that answer, and not let this one stray too Off Topic.

thx

scarletto7

Firstly i would like to say hello to all on the forum, as a somewhat casual reader of the history of the Zulu war of 1879 but yes an avid viewer of the two films, i saw this book advertised on Amazon and decided to purchase it.

Firstly i have to say that the few previous books i have read, have glossed over in many cases the role or more importantly the actions of the British infantry, which led me to think that they actually did more harm to the zulus standing, by implying the zulu was some mindless savage and just charged disregarding losses.

As an ex-military man i felt this was something that didn't sit right, that the zulu was rather more savvy than some authors seemed to think, and also that a British Regiment isn't just rolled over, that isn't jingoism for a better term, but plain fact.

So this book, whilst to me not only giving a better picture of what happened also gave credit to both sides.

Its not a one read book, certainly it is a book that has to be read two or three times (I'm on my fourth reading) and more seems to become apparent each time the book is read.

I would like to say that this is the definitive account of what happened, but that is impossible, the definitive account happened on that blood soaked day and maybe quite rightly it stays there, however I'd be more than suprised (and happy) if a better book came out, however for me its certainly the best for this period and also one of the best books on a military action in any period.

what I'd be interested in, for inclusion, is a map showing the cairns and grave markers if their is such a map

I thank you for your time, and hope that i havent stood on anyones toes!
Dawn

The Hill of the Sphinx by F W D Jackson has a good map of the position of the cairns and is a good reference book to have anyway.

Dawn
mike snook 2

Dear Scarletto

I'd just like to thank you for your remarks and in particular for pointing out to people that you just don't float over this one once like a comic, which is what so many people look to do these days. One does have to read it two or three times to 'get it', and to join it all up. It is not a beginner's book.

Dawn is right to highlight the F W D Jackson work as having about the most accessible map of the cairns. But, deductions from cairn plotting need to be handled with care - a cairn might have one man under it, or it might have twenty. One cairn might have been raised over just one man who died just there, or who might have been dragged from over there a hundred yards away by jackals. One just can't tell.

Anyway,

With grateful thanks for your kind words - and you are quite right - a British regiment isn't just rolled over. Plenty have tried, the Zulus are amongst the few to have succeeded, but it cost them, and they went home knowing it had cost them. Perhaps the remarkable thing about the war was that they tried again at Gingindlovu and Kambula, and even more remarkably, when all was lost, at Ulundi.

Regards

Mike
scarletto7

Mike, i thank you for your comments, and well nice to see that you take the trouble too.

Certainly regarding firstly the cairns, it is i suppose highly problematic as to who lies under them, but that is certainly due to time, or should i say the era of the Battle, it was more for interest than actual plotting reasons, certainly due to what I've read on this forum, i must read more!!

Regarding the rolling over, the 24th did in some books appear on a firing line then next minute in valiant groups, leaving me to wonder why the Zulu dead weren't less, and the idea that the firing line was some huge snake made me think maybe the commanders were having a laugh!

However i think you've certainly put that into perspective, and also the era as well, some think of the zulu war officers and their mens ideals and strengths and weaknesses in 21st century terms, you've done your regiment proud, and as importantly their opponents.

whilst this post may seem slightly hero worshipping or whatever term is available, i tend to think that you deserve all the praise you've had!!!

i certainly think the men of that day will be raising their glasses to you
mike snook 2

Scarletto

Well, a raised glass is all that any of us gets ultimately! I am keen to point out for general consumption that this is nothing to do with sticking up for the regiment. After all, it doesn't need any sticking up for - the Zulu primary sources do that.

It is the fact that I was told I should be proud of my regiment from a very early age that actually drove me to do all the research - to see if it was true that I should be so proud of them. There is no element of bias about it, though foolish comments to that effect have been offered elsewhere. There is nothing to hide from or be embarrassed by in this epic tale as it turns out, but as I have written elsewhere, when modern writers come from left of field with no evident understanding of the dynamics of war, battle, campaigning, soldiering, and decide to slate VC winners from a range of 125 years, then I get cross.

Regards

Mike
scarletto7

Mike, i know where your coming from on that point, i was installed a belief fairly unshakeable even today that my regiment was something to be proud of, when i wrote my book on arnhem i interviewed men who even at the age of 70 or 80 would have fought to defend their battalions honour.

This actually and you show it well, is why the 24th fought as well as they could, even when flight may have been the safer option.
Johnny_H

One does have to read it two or three times to 'get it', and to join it all up. It is not a beginner's book.

Quoted for truth, I find it hard to follow sometimes Embarassed

But I figure a little more time with it and some maybe printed out maps, and Ill be OK Cool

I guess i was expecting the Cornelius Ryan version of Isandlwana and infact what i got was much much better, just needs more then my usual casual attention span.

Because I'm really interested though its not stretch for me to re-read chapters, get some maps out, and while all this looks extremely odd at work, its just as fascinating.

scarletto7

actually that's a good way to go through the book, by using maps to plot and follow the action, makes it interesting to see the points of the book, appear map wise
mike snook 2

Johhny

Don't panic! Photocopy the maps and lay them out on a coffee table beside you as you read

Try not to spill your coffee - or your right horn might end up in the wrong place!!

Regards as ever

Mike Smile
Johnny_H

mike snook 2 wrote:
Johhny
Don't panic! Photocopy the maps and lay them out on a coffee table beside you as you read
Try not to spill your coffee - or your right horn might end up in the wrong place!!
Regards as ever
Mike Smile

When I get access to a Copier I will do just exactly that

I'm not having too much trouble keeping up if i referance the maps, i have the pages with the associated maps marked with lil pieces of paper.

but having photocopied maps would be much easier.

It's not the maps and locations of units ill have trouble remembering or sticking, it's always names for me that never stick.

Rich

Just another point on HCMDB...

I have to say that I think HCMDB has made some significant impact among the reviewers of the book club I belong to. The book came out a while back but they seem to constantly bring it to the attention of readers and point out its attention to detail and highly original approach to the Isandhlwana battle. Mike I think you certainly have a winner here. (I'm sure you know the sales!) Those fellows on the committee apparently can't get enough in touting your book to everybody. Besides giving great information on the battle, one big result of the book will I think bring in more interest into the whole Anglo-Zulu War area. Consequently, more books, more information and more analysis on the period. I'm glad to be a reader....
mike snook 2

Rich

I'm delighted to know that it is well thought of, and I am grateful for such kind words of encouragement. It will help me to keep burning the midnight oil!! I hope that Into the Jaws of Death will give the same sort of reading pleasure to people. This is a remarkable period of history and there are lots of great stories to tell.

Yours as ever

Mike
Rich

so Mike will I be able to pick it up at the museum in Brecon in a few weeks??? Or perhaps I'll need to wait. My wife and I will be making our long long sought pilgrimage to the UK and naturally....to Brecon...also gives me an excuse to pick up all the Zulu War books I can't get here!...
How Can Man Die Better