rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sean Sweeney

Peter, Dawn,

And Kevin Pietersen is a product of my Alma Mater, Maritzburg College.

He just missed being a Gemini by 4 days,
so I thought I'd give him a mention in despatches.

He gets 1,040,000 results on Google.

No doubt the Gemini's will claim him for one of their own,
as a 'near miss'.
cheers
Sean
Peter Ewart

Sean

Yes, a college with a long & very distinguished record, of which I'm sure you're proud - and "KP" may yet turn out to be their finest product ever. We're grateful for such a useful export, by the way! Until the controversial Transformation selection policy is sorted out once and for all, such cases will no doubt be repeated, which is a great shame for RSA at the top level in the short or medium term, even if one can see the reasoning behind the policy.

It is remarkable to think that someone like KP, who is in the spotlight here daily, provides a link with Isandlwana through his famous school.

Peter
Sean Sweeney

Yes, very proud, Peter,
(we have five generations involved with the school. KZN's oldest)

but KP will have a way to go to beat College legends Jonty Rhodes, Denis Lindsay and Jackie McGlew, and Philip Nel, Joel Stransky and Keith Oxlee,

(and my old mates from DHS Barry Richards and Lee Irvine as Counties cricketers.)

Maritzburg College are very much aware of their history, and their links to Isandhlwana, and the Zulu nation.

The School/Old Boys currently provide for scholarships and bursaries for the needy, underprivileged, and previously disadvantaged,
and is providing quality education, and the opportunity to excel on the sportsfield, for a number of Zulu children, especially as boarders,
who without this financial assistance , would not normally be in a position to complete a formal education to University entrance level.
Last year, they had a 100% pass rate at 6th form level.
They also run special history projects where the boys visit the different KwaZulu-Natal battlegrounds, and assist in the upkeep of the graves and memorials.

There are MCOB's buried on most of the Worlds battlefields where we have fought alongside Great Britain.
Sean
tony.ashford.@ntlworld,co

Hi Alan,

Just to correct you on a matter of fact - we are always scrupulous about our facts on the Forum - England ARE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP!!!
All the best,

Tony Ashford.
Sean Sweeney

Tony, Alan,

Mere speculation, heresay, 3rd party reports, and lost in translation, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, (apart from the Welsh), I imagine that the English will be in the majority on this site, and will agree with you, without the usual pre-requisite 'original source' documentation etc.

Amongst the ex Colonies and possessions down South, only Australia have qualified, and in the North, the U.S.A. , Trinidad and Tobago, Ghana, (and of course, France).
No doubt they will all disagree with you.

I guess we'll all have to look up our English ancestry to toast if Becks and Co can pull it off.
cheers,
and 'ENGLAAAAAND'
Sean
Rich

To all my English, Welsh, Australian and New Zealand and South African football friends!....Wink...

Not all us can partake of de Cup.. next time for NZ, SA and Wales (Giggs alas is only one guy!)

Pressure's on again for Ingalund..don't worry about Rooney....Crouch, Gerrard and Carragher will fill in..Wink..they're pretty good too you know.
And you got Terry in the back with Beck's free kicking! Not bad... Mental game is more important I think among the English team. The skill's there certainly but games are also won in the head too!

Well If our guys get on (US) well it'll be on using the adrenal glands and pure athleticism.....we just might sneak through if the Czechs can't run...Wink...anyway it will be tough to get out of the group...like I'm telling everybody I want a 'cross the pond final! I can dream can't I?...Wink...

Good luck and fair play!... how you say it?... chaps, mates....
Dawn

And there I was thinking this thread had to do with Durnford's birthday....maybe he played football too. Mind you, it does go show that you're all football mad.

(I support my home country, England...and anyone else playing Australia!)

Dawn
Rich

Well good luck Dawn..and remember if you win the Cup...
can we, say like Waterloo, it was first won on the playin' fields of Eton......Wink...Me, I've always found the English a bunch of great sporting champs! Oh boy why can't we import the Premiership to MLS???
Col. A.W. Durnford's Birthday Today !