rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
INTERVIEW WITH SIR MICHAEL CAINE
margaret mcfarlane

Last week I saw part of an interview with Sir Michael Caine on breakfast tv. No mention of our favourite film as far as I...

(Apologies here from me. The forum went mad here and put a load of symbols in place of words. Alan).

The basics of what Margaret said was he was asked about the remake of the Italian Job and he said that remakes shouldn't be made if the original was good.
Coll

Margaret

Although I've never watched it myself, was Michael Caine not in the remake of 'Get Carter', the original of which, was an excellent and successful film ? Confused

If what he said was the last word on the remaking (reimagining?) of 'Zulu', which definitely was a fantastic and successful 'epic' film, it doesn't mean it's the last word on 'Zulu Dawn' - as it was quite disappointing ! Wink

Coll Twisted Evil
Alekudemus

Michael Caine has also starred in

BEWITCHED --- Duff remake of classic TV series

And the ones below have been done a few times as well.

20 000 Leagues under the sea
Jekyll and Hyde
Jack the Ripper
leightarrant

Not to mention, JAWS 4...........He wasn't so good in that.....
Barbara Grant

Does anyone know what Sir Michael thinks about the film "Zulu," or the man he portrayed? I doubt whether I saw the interview mentioned in this post (I live in the U. S.) but I have seen Michael Caine interviews in magazines. He doesn't mention "Zulu" at all. For all practical purposes, in his younger days, he was "Alfie."

Barbara
ANDY LEE

Barbara

In my opinion Sheldon Hall would be the man to ask such a question. It is quite clear that MC does not ever mention the film that really launched his career whenever interviewed. Also in my opinion MC owes alot to Sir Stanley Baker for offering him the part of Bromhead in Zulu, he did give a first class performance but following Zulu went on to be probably the most over rated actor we have produced.

And

Interview
Simon Rosbottom

Andy,

I do agree with you about Michael Caine being over rated. I always cringe at the end of Zulu when he starts laughing when Adendorff says "we're finished."

However, he is a reasonable actor given a role that suits him. He's been in over 120 films but shouldn't have bothered with half of them. He had a reasonable run in the mid 70's though. "The man who would be king", "The eagle has landed", "a bridge too far" and then the truly awful "beyond the poseidon adventure" or the even worse "Jaws - the revenge!"

Not a patch on the likes of Baker and Hawkins - just look at the Cruel Sea. I can see the Revered Otto Witt standing on the bridge of Compass Rose saying to Chard "Steady as she goes, Number One."

Regards

Michael Caine has discussed "ZULU" numerous times in interviews, in print and on TV; whether or not he mentions it depends on whether or not he is asked about it by the interviewer! Remember he has made plenty of other films to discuss in the 42 years since "ZULU" (and interviews are usually arranged to promote new films, not old ones), so unless there's a pressing reason there's probably no need for him or his interviewers to bring it up.

For the record, on TV he talked about a few years ago it the last time he was on PARKINSON (when it was still on the BBC) and in a BBC2 documentary about himself. He also talked about in an interview for the American magazine FILM COMMENT a couple of years ago. These and other references are cited (and quoted) in my book about the film. If that's not enough, there is also a whole chapter about "ZULU" in Caine's autobiography, WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?, which is still readily available and may be due for an updated reprint.

BTW, I believe the reason he decided against doing remakes was BECAUSE of his experience of remaking GET CARTER. Note that he was not involved in the subsequent remakes of THE ITALIAN JOB and ALFIE (very wisely, in my view).

Sheldon
Barbara Grant

Thanks for the info., Sheldon. It seems that Sir Michael will discuss "Zulu" when asked, but he's not often asked. I agree that remakes can be a bad business, and stars of the original pictures are wise to avoid them.

In re: Andy Lee's comment--it's interesting to me that I like the young Michael Caine (in film) better than the "older" man. I think he did some great work in his younger years, "Alfie" included, but I can't think of a Caine film lately that has moved me.

Barbara
Coll

Regarding comments about actors as they get older, some seem to improve, as others falter.

I really liked the actor Sean Connery, not so much in the Bond movies ( not a Bond fan) but mostly in the 1970s when I think he made some good films, but going into the 1980s, his films were still pretty good, although throughout his career, as with other actors, some films may best have been avoided.

Coll

PS. Although he would have been criticised as being miscast, I feel he would have been excellent as Col. Durnford in 'Zulu Dawn', with Anthony Hopkins as Col. Pulleine. I think Connery was actually about the same age as Durnford was at Isandlwana, when 'Zulu Dawn' was made. Rather than Burt Lancaster who was in his 60s.
Rich

Interesing comments about Sir Michael..........can't believe he's what? 72..jeez time marches on!!!...
I differ a bit from Simon's and Andy's take on Mr. Caine though.
I believe he just has to be up there as one of the best British actors. Not a cerebral guy that's for sure when it comes to discussing acting. He just goes and does it. I don't think he's overrated at all. He's done quite a wide body of work with various characters. Sure some dogs but all actors haul them around their necks. Had to laugh about he got the Bromhead role from Mr. Endfield. Caine did a screen test and then went to a party where Mr. Endfield was as well the next day. Endfield supposedly ignored him all night until he was getting ready to leave and said to Caine that "it was the worst screen test I've ever seen in my life". But he then said Caine would get the part. Caine says if it was such a bad screen test why was he getting the part? Endfield cracked: "Because we can't find anybody else and we leave on Monday". On that a career gets to be made....
leightarrant

Caine is best in SLEUTH.............easily his best performance to date. Very good acting....Nothing can equal it............Funny enough, the role in ZULU suited him and he acted rather well for a beginner!! Close second would be GET CARTER.
Sheldon Hall

My own choice of Sir MC's best performance is in a film on which a lot of other "ZULU" personnel worked, but which was not a commercial success: THE LAST VALLEY (1970). It's been turning up recently in the UK on Sky Cinema 1 and 2, though it's best seen on the big screen in 70mm. Following that, it would be THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975). PLAY DIRTY (1968) is another very under-rated film I'd highly recommend (Nigel Green's also in it).
ralph dyer

i agree sheldon, i have a copy of the last valley on dvd which i managed to purchase here in holland. omar sharif played an excellent part and music by john barry. a film worth watching for sure.

hmmm...looks like we got a fan club for the Last Valley..I enjoyed that film very much as well...
Sheldon...maybe you know?...I see that Mr. Caine had a part in "The Day the Earth Caught Fire"..(one of the first films I ever saw) ....I don't have the dvd yet..any idea what he played in there?
INTERVIEW WITH SIR MICHAEL CAINE