rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned the new Parkinson interview... In fact, I think the reference to an impending remake was just a joke by Sir MC so that he could say that his character would be a speck on the horizon. I seriously doubt that that there is any more substance to it than that. Interesting, though, that Parky should ask him more-or-less the same questions about "ZULU" that he did the last time Caine appeared on his show, not too long ago!
Coll

Sheldon

The fact that 'Zulu' has been discussed both times, almost like refreshing people's memories of the film, or making others aware of the film, do you think there may be an element of truth in a possible remake ?

Could this be 'leading up' to the announcement of a film either made or in the process of being made, on that specific subject.

Early advertising, you think ?

A word here, a word there, a mention, etc. etc.

As Michael Caine's career has spanned 40 plus years, although I know 'Zulu' played a big part in 'kicking it off', does make you wonder, as he probably has many other stories to tell, rather than going back to the beginning every time.

Or is it just wishful thinking on my part ? (again)

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Hi Coll,

I think it is just your wishful thinking! Although TV interviews are arranged for publicity purposes (in this case for Sir MC's new movie THE PRESTIGE), there's no reason why Caine would be involved in publicising a (prospective) movie in which he had no part, nor any reason why Parkinson would be obliged to mention it (or prompt a mention of it): he is not himself a film publicist and even modern Hollywood does not orchestrate campaigns so far in advance of production.

The probable answer to your query is much more mundane: Parkinson now routinely interviews guests he has interviewed many times before - possibly because they are 'old reliables' (and Parky's old mates) and good for ratings with middle-aged viewers; just as likely because the younger guests are going to other shows like Jonathan Ross's - and may be running out of questions to ask! A further case in point: Peter Kay is due to make his (I think) third Parky appearance on Saturday's show.

Sheldon
Coll

Sheldon

Ah, well...live in hope.

There is another point though, whether I read elsewhere or here, that there was/is a rumour of a small scale South African project dealing with the subject of Rorke's Drift (I think), but from the Zulu perspective.

I was of the opinion this may be more documentary-related, rather than a feature film, perhaps for the History Channel or such like.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Yes, there were rumours to that effect some time ago, but I've not heard anything more. Possibly just another devout wish?

Sheldon
Coll

Sheldon

Yes. I think so.

However, if I may misquote a saying from 'Field of Dreams' -

"If you wish it ... the film shall come." Wink

Coll
Rich

I don't know Coll....You know as we get older we go through epiphanies...
Here's Mr. Caine's

"I can't even see a war film because they fool everybody, they fool young men. My friend John Wayne fooled me. I went and saw him and you go out there and kill all the enemy. Nobody tells you they're gonna kill you.
Infantrymen don't even talk about it to each other because they just know. And I see these guys in Iraq and I think oh my God what are we doing".

You know I thought he might bankroll a remake and play Frere or
something. Well he was a different guy when he made "Zulu"!...Wink...
Coll

I'm sure I read that Michael Caine has a copy of the 'Zulu' screenplay as a memento from the film ?

If so, do you think he'd lend it to me ? Wink

Coll

PS. If not, well, everyone is allowed 3 wishes and I've just used up my last one Sad - 1. New film 2. New film again (well, 2 wishes for the same thing doubles the chances Smile ) 3. The 'Zulu' screenplay.

Maybe I should have wished for more wishes ! Laughing
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

The movie 'Zulu' is not a patch on the real story and the actual characters who displayed courage against all the odds.

Coll

Martin

Yes. I fully agree.

However, there is military history and film history, with a significant divide between the two, but with the subject matter connecting both -

Military History - I've a very pleasing collection of books, images, etc., which detail the true story(ies) behind the film(s), covering the battles and the participants themselves.

Film History - I've 'Zulu' and 'Zulu Dawn' (several copies), as well as the soundtrack cds, Sheldon Hall's excellent book, and, of course, the 'Zulu Dawn' screenplay. What is lacking from this collection is the 'Zulu' screenplay, which to me has a historic value (in the film sense), and I guess, as I saw 'Zulu' when I was young, and many times since, not realising I would eventually become an AZW enthusiast.

So, yes, a well-filmed epic movie for the big screen, but not real-life.

Coll
INTERVIEW WITH SIR MICHAEL CAINE