rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Composition of NNC
PRS

I post this in the hope that one of the many learned colleagues on this board may point me in the right direction. Confused

I am trying to find a comprehensive list of company commanders (10 per batt) in each of the battalions comprising each of the 3 regts of NNC.

I have found scraps of info here and there, but nothing comprehensive. Thus, I am getting confused. I am sure the answer is out there somewher, I just don't know where exactly.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

PRS

The officers of the NNC were something of a moveable feast, that is to say, some of them came and went during the period of the war. Many were found to be unsuitable as officers and were 'separated' quite quickly.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, my book "Local General Orders of the Anglo-Zulu War' is available from D P & G in Doncaster and these Orders published the names of officers as they were appointed. You may therefore put together a comprehensive list of them by reading through the various appointments as they occurred.

Bear in mind that each company had one captain commanding, assisted by two lieutenants. There was also another lieutenant acting as adjutant to the battalion. Note too that there were originally seven battalions, each of supposedly ten companies. The 1st Regiment had three battalions and the 2nd and 3rd had two each.

KIS
JustinYoung

Both 'War Comes to Umvoti' and The Buffalo Border' by Laband and Thompson give lists of Officers and NCO's in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Regts NNC. Although not complete, if used in conjuction with Keiths book which gives some of the missing Officers and more importantly specific dates (and probably the majority of each Batt.) you should be able build up a pretty good list and see which Officers carried on to serve in the revised five Battalions.
I've looked a little into this myself and as a rough guide, most Officers in Battalions 1-5 in 1st and second Regts during the first part of the War went onto form 1-5 Battalions in the second part of the War. Using Keith's book you will see some Officers being promoted , others discharged and quite a few moving to form new mounted units - facinating stuff!

If you email me privately I'll send you copies of the lists from 'War Comes to Umvoti' and The Buffalo Border' - although I'd recomend getting them

Justin
PRS

Keith, Justin

Thank U both very much.
Will explore all yr suggested leads.

Justin will send U private e-mail as suggested.

Thanks again
Very Happy