rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Adams Revolver
a.j

I know that some officers carried Adams revolvers as their side arm, but the Adams revolver was made in 1851. Most if not all officers who had a n Adams revolver in the Zulu Wars or in any other colonial war of the period would have bought an up to date pistol, which fired metal cartidges.

What I wish to know is, how was the revolver converted and improved?

Secondly did it look any different from its original appearence?
Adrian Whiting

AJ,

The Royal Navy provided the lead for the first conversions of Beaumont Adams revolvers to centre fire in 1868. The Army approved their conversions from 1872, with the adoption of the Breech loading .450" Adams revolver. This purpose built breech loader was designated the Mark II and the conversions, even though they were of significantly different design were (effectively retrospectively) designated the MkI.

The converted pistols received replacement cylinders, a modified hammer and an ejector rod on the right side of the barrel. As a result it was very easy to tell it apart from the previous percussion patterns.

The 54 bore (.442") percussion Adams had been much preferred to the .36" Colt revolver as a much better manstopper. This thinking even led Webley to make a .577" calibre revolver, which I imagine could be privately purchased with wheels to pull it along on!

Coll

Great book to get, though expensive -

Adams' Revolvers.
by W.H.J. Chamberlain & A.W.F Taylerson.

Lots of detail and images.

Coll
Adams Revolver