rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandhlwana Casualty
peterw

Readers on the old forum may recall a discussion about the price of medals to Isandhlwana casualties. The original poster had acquired a medal to a 1/24th Sergeant plus medal groups to his son and grandson. The name wasn't disclosed at the time but such a group sold today at Bosleys for a hammer price of £8,200, on top of which there is commission of 15%. The medal was to Sergeant John Edwards and included a picture of him in uniform.

Peter
Neil Aspinshaw

Peter
what made this medal more interesting is that it was in the original packaging also. £9430 is a staggering price, certainly out of my league, but it is a sign of the times.
I have been watching other campaigns, Maiwand (afghan) casualties are flying, you watch Boer war medals they are next!.

regards.

Neil

Neil/Peter

Amazing prices, as you say. I was intrigued by the mention of potential prices for the 2nd ABW campaign medals.

Do either of you - or, indeed, anyone else - have even an approximate clue as to what I might have to fork out (if I ever managed to locate and bid for) my own grandfather Ewart's DCM, which he was awarded in the 2nd ABW?

It was apparently still in family hands until 1978, when his daughter died, following which it is believed to have been flogged! He served as a signaller in the 10th Hussars (attached 6th Dragoons) throughout the war and earned both the Q & K medal, having served under Generals Dartnell (the same!) French, Hamilton & Broadwood. Between his army service record, the London Gazette and Abbott there are sight discrepancies re the date and exact unit, although these sources do not differ materially with each other, nor with family info and papers. (I landed in S Africa exactly 100 years to the week, and possibly to the day, after his own disembarkation there as a Reservist who had formerly served in the 20th Hussars).

If this has veered very slightly off topic from the above, I'll crave the forum's indulgence through (a) my crafty mention of Dartnell, and (b) the fact that my own journey, a century after his, was to the AZW battlefields and not to those of the ABW!

Peter
Grandfather Ewart
peterw

Peter

I may have some information and have emailed you.

Peter
Prices
peterw

The two 1/24th Isandhlwana casualties sold at DNW today were:
Walsh (1877-8-9) - £4,200 (GVF)
Lovell (1879) - £5,500 (virtually as issued)

Peter
Isandhlwana Casualty