rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Hello All :D its been a while Since I have posted
Johnny_H

Hello everyone, its me again.
I was posting here a few months back, I have taken a break from the military non fiction that I was constantly reading because it started really hurting the pockets, but recently I have picked up a "Gem" of a book not nessecarily about the "Zulu war" but none the less incredible.

The British Grenadiers : Three Hundred and Fifty Years of the First Regiment of Foot Guards 1656-2006 - by Henry Fanning

published by Pen-and-sword books its incredible, its really expensive at 30.00 quid, but I practically stole it from Amazon.com getting at $35 USD Cool

It is by far one of if not the most beautifull books I have ever purchased.

Anyone else see this?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6154/184415385101lzzzzzzz9fr.jpg

On a separate note, to Mr.Snook.
I found Like Wolves on the Fold easier to follow then HCMDB, I loved both though and after reading them really felt like I have learned something about both battles, which is rare because I'm not a "Book learner" I never was one for being able to just read a text book and learn from it through schooling, but as a master of your craft, I would like to thank you for both, because if the stuff we read in school was nearly as well done as those two, History would have been a totally differant piece of pie.

Mike Snook

Thank you Johnny. Your kind words make all the effort worthwhile.

With all best wishes

Mike
Rob Dumelow

Looks like quite an interesting read, I may have to keep an eye open for a cheap copy of that. Thanks Johnny.

I would like to thank you for both, because if the stuff we read in school was nearly as well done as those two, History would have been a totally differant piece of pie.

I concur there never seems to be much very interesting or applicable in modern school history courses. I am just about to finish 14 years of schooling (last a-level exams coming up in these next 2 weeks) and feel that if I hadn't done any of my own reading all I would have learnt about would have been the Romans, Tudors and Nazi Germany at pre-GCSE level. My compulsary GCSE history modules were: The Nazis post 1938, Crime and Punishment through the ages and Medicine. I declined Hostory A level as it was largely 19th century Russia and 17th century France (from a social history angle).

Not a mention of the rise of the British Empire, Napoeonic wars or anything at all outside of Europe. Seems to be too much focus on setting subjects easy to teach than likely to interest and teach youngsters, with a gradual reduction in the teaching of military history and much more social history. But still I'm hijacking your thread really badly so i'll shut up now.

To get back on topic i'll get down to my local bookshops and see if they have a copy, and check the library for a version to borrow (though that seems to be little but computers nowdays).
Johnny_H

really if you want the best deal for that book, order it from the US even with Shipping its going to work out less then 30quid

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844153851/sr=8-2/qid=1150178621/ref=sr_1_2/102-2979696-9730501?%5Fencoding=UTF8

34.00 USD, they are loosing money selling that book for that price

To Mike Snook have you considered writing about the Welsh Regiment in WW1 or WW2? I would seriously grab every military history book you could write, So I was just wondering if you have any plans for future titles, I remember you saying your not going to go with anymore Zulu war material after LWOTF a while back.

mike snook 2

Johnny

I am currently writing a 2 volume book on the wider fighting record of the Victorian Army. This will travel through campaigns in Afghanistan, the Crimea, South Africa and the Sudan and wil cover in depth the most famous actions fought by the army in that period. The first one will be out at the end of this year and the second one 9 months after that. That will keep me usefully occupied in the evenings and at the weekend for the next couple of years!!

Regards as ever

Mike
Hello All :D its been a while Since I have posted