rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu had done it again
a.j

Zulu has came third place in the top 10 battle sequences. Saving Private Ryan came first followed by Alexander.

But Zulu managed to beat, among others, The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers and Kingdom Of Heaven!

http://movienews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Movies/virginMoviesNewsDetail/0,15384,1249988_movies,00.html
Sheldon Hall

Actually, the virgin.net report is incorrect. This "top ten" is not the result of a poll at all, but a personal selection by one writer (Will Lawrence) for EMPIRE magazine (part of a series on top tens). Nice to see "Zulu" made the list, but a pity he misspelt the battle "Rorke's Drift"!

Then again, check out Kim Newman's review at http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=132974 for a really off-beam account of the film, which shows, apparently, the Brits "holding out during an Alamo-like siege until they are overwhelmed , losing the battle abut [sic] going down in history as heroes"!!

Sheldon
ralph dyer

hi aj,
i just wanted to throw my two pence in, private ryan was indeed the best i think and of course Zulu is still a cracker but, alexander i thought was a terrible film that could have been so much better, and there was too much time spent on alexander and his (bestist friend) hugging like two footballers after a lucky goal. for my money troy beats that hands down, so does gladiator and el cid. but always nice to see films with spear and sword. i think theres some new films on the way but i forget the names right now, maybe Sheldon can help on that one ? OK that's it have a nice day all.
regards ralph.