rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Kenneth Griffiths
Martin Everett

It has been reported on BBC Wales TV that Kenneth Griffiths, Actor and Film maker, has died today aged 83.

John Young

It is with extreme sadness that I have learnt of the passing of my friend, Kenneth, and I offer my condolences to his family.

Go well old friend, and I will hang out my brightest colours to mark your passing.

John Y.
Ferguson73uk

A fine actor and documentary film maker. as well as a lovely, courteous man. I met him at a seminar at Brecon a few years ago with my eldest son and he was engaging and modest about his achievements.

Perhaps not just the BBC here in Wales, but nationally, will now show a season of his work in tribute, including his more controversial documentaries (which is certainly long overdue).

Jonathan
Martin Everett

Dear All,

In my haste, I did make a slip - because I remember him talking about his namesake killed at Isandlwana - it is Kenneth Griffith not Kenneth Griffiths.
Sorry.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kenneth Griffith
Robert John

I echo Jonathan's first sentiment above----a great loss, not only to the people of Wales but to everyone.

Robert

According to Ceefax he made some "Controversial" documentaries including the Boer War. I'll have to try and see that. I remember him from many parts he took in the 60's and 70's and of course Shaka Zulu. He was a true professional and still acted into his 80's. He will be sadly missed.

P.S. Martin, Even IMDB says he was sometimes credited on films as Griffiths.
Ed Coan

Just a personal reminiscence on Kenneth Griffith, whom I first met in the mid 1980s. I had the pleasure of visiting him a few times in the last couple of years at his home in north London and on one occasion we were talking about the film 'Zulu' and he said to me: "Do you know, Stanley Baker and Cy Endfield came to see me once and sat on the sofa you're sitting on now and asked me to be in the film."

"So why weren't you?" was my obvious question.

"Do you know, I can't remember!" he replied.

There's no doubt Kenneth wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he was true to his views, was passionate about them and his documentary style changed the way history was presented on TV.

End of an era.

Ed Coan
Alekudemus

I wonder what part they wanted him for? Did you ask by any chance? You've really got me wondering now Ed.
John Young

I can answer that one, the part of Private William Jones. The part went to Ken's understudy at Old Vic, Richard Davies. Ken did tell me why he never got the part, but I'll keep the lid on that one if I may.

I had the good fortune to have Ken discuss the reason behind the visit of Baker & Endfield. Ken had actually written a script for the Boulting brothers on the Defence of Rorke's Drift. Roy Boulting was adamant, when I last saw him alive, that he still had the script somewhere in his place outside Oxford, but his search proved fruitless. It would appear the visit was to tap his knowledge on the subject.

Ken would also say that he had a hand in Michael Caine getting a role in Zulu, which I believe he repeated in the book The Trouble with Michael Caine.

As to Shaka Zulu Ken was responsible for some of the more meaningful scenes in that mini-series, suchas the discussion with Shaka on religion.

John Y.
Alekudemus

This forum really has the answer to most questions (Even if you are not revealing them all). Thanks for the info John. I can see Ken Griffith in the part and he would have been very good, as he always was. Richard Davies is another fine Welsh actor. Having watched the Welsh news a few times this evening there have been many tributes to Kenneth. It just shows that he was very well regarded as a fine actor and documentary maker.
Mel

I missed the original 1979 TV transmision of "Black As Hell Thick As Grass". After writing several times to the BBC (in vain), to repeat the programme I wrote to Ken who explained that his work was banned. He then very kindly offered to screen it at his home. With several gob smacked fellow enthusiasts, I found myself finally getting to watch the programme and Kenneth Griffith was sitting in the same room.

I have fond memories of one afternoon in the pub opposite the Brecon Barracks when Ken was venting his thoughts on British Imperialism. As Ed says, he was, indeed, true to his views.

His documentary style was unique and "Black As Hell" must still rate as one of the best programmes ever on the Anglo Zulu War.

Let's hope that there is now a season of Ken's work shown on TV.