rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rear of tunic
Tom516

Hello chaps,

Err, I think I must have asked this before but I've been away for a bit and I wasn't able to check, would someone have like a picture or even a sketch of the rear of the British O.R. or Sgts tunics? I heard it has just straight white stripes instead of the more ornate braid like in the movie ZULU and I'm not sure about the arrangement of the buttons there either. I'd like to rework my reproduction tunic (the white braiding got stained by the red dye when it went into the wash) and I'd like to get the rear right this time.

Many thanks,
Tom "Harlechman"
Zulu Total War Mod

Adrian Whiting

Tom,

Both the tunic and the frock had two parallel lines of white piping from the rear skirt hem to the lower back. The piping followed the seams of the rear of the tunic skirt or the rear of the frock panels (the two jackets being made differently).

Each line of piping was topped with a General Service button of the same size as used to fasten up the front. When worn, the waistbelt sat just above the two buttons.

If you go to the Zulu pages on the Diehards website you will find some images of the rear of the frock.

Thanks!
Tom516

Thanks very much Very Happy I think I'll be able to rework the rear of the tunic accurately now. Just wondering though why they had to change the design in ZULU when this was what was historic? Well I guess a more ornate lacing would look better than the simple straight stripes but still it's a very minor point, they could have just let it slide.

Thanks again!
Tom 'Harlechman'

Adrian Whiting

Tom,

For the filming I think they used what was available to them, which happened to be a later pattern. I don't think it was a deliberate choice as such.

I see
Tom516

Ah, okay. No harm done then Smile and will post pics when it's done!

many, many thanks,
Tom

rear of tunic