rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
zulu event at staffordshire regiment museum
Colin Fielding

anybody going this week-end?
Neil Aspinshaw

Colin,

Are you coming along?, I tried to get Dave Fox but I think he's away.

I will be, in kit for the 80th of course, we are hoping for a firing display of maybe 30 martinis, 12-15 in our lot, plus the 1879'ers, I think we have a boer group and maybe some of the diehards who are not in canada might show.
The barracks has a nice little museum, a ww1 trench system, which is very good, and a few other displays.

If any of the regulars from the forum comes along, drop by the 80th's armourers table and say hey up. Got a Martini query just ask me!,
you might get press-ganged by the recruting sargeant though, if you see him, tell him you were injured in abyssinia and have had enough of the queens shilling.

Neil

Colin,
I'll be there Sunday. Now I know Neil but how would I recognise you? I'm wondering how many RDVC members have unknowingly stood next to each other at meetings over the last few years? Could there be a need for a RDVC badge/tie?

Site Admin

Mel,
there's a picture of Colin in the NEWS section taken at the Sgt. Gallagher rededication. Page 2, 26 April 2005, he's number 5. (Doesn't do him justice though!!!!)

For those who did not mamage to visit, the weekend was probably one of the best I have attended, thanks to all the lads at the 1879 group, for making it such a great weekend.
Our group the 80th, the 1879 group and the Heidleberg Commando attended, a firing line of 25+ redcoats, lots of smoke and noise, bayonet charges at the crowd, Dannys hilarious Zulu! so many nice comments from the eager 800+ visitors over the weekend. No politics, just good AZW fun. Nice to see Roger Lane, Chris Feilding, (how does it fell to have finally fired a Martini Chris?), Mel, Dave Fox and some old friends.

The bayonet fighting will have got all the kids waking up in the night screaming AAAAAAAAAH!, thanks to Ron of the 80th. Some superb living history displays by all groups, plenty of weaponary and some quality unfiroms and laydees. Even the young drummers of the 80th were slayed by the rampant Zulu putting out the markers.

Thanks to the staff of the Staffordshire Regiment Museum for their good humour, and, for letting us closely inspect Nortons' (wounded at Ulundi) 80th regiment foreign service tunic, C/w bloodstains and assegai hole. We now know why we stand boiling our n**ts off but the men of 1879 had better kit!.
for those who did not attend a great event was missed.

Hi Neil, thanks very much to you and everyone else for the weekends event . It was well worth the 330 mile round trip. As you point out I now know what it's like to fire a Martini. I also now know what it's like to be called Chris !!!!!!!(who).

Hope to hear from you very soon re- next March.

Best regards ,Chris, I mean, Colin Fielding.
Neil Aspinshaw

Colin
oops sorry for second time, I know that many Chris's!, apparently black powder is a mind bending drug a bit like some illegal white powders, it makes you go la-la!.

Glad you enjoyed it, somewhere out there great granpa would be having a laugh at your first firing!.

Hopefully see you at Firepower.

regards
Neil

Neil,
I thought it was rather stylish. It made the occupants of that passing car duck pretty sharpish. However, a certain wife of mine may point out that it was not the first blank I've fired!! Thanks again for the opportunity to have a go.

Col.
Rob Dumelow

Unfortunately I was in the South of France at the time so couldn't make it. I saw it advertised in the local press a few days before I left and was disappointed to be unable to attend. The living history events at Whittington barracks are always good fun and its only 10 miles down the road.

Still there's always next time...
zulu event at staffordshire regiment museum