rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Anglo Zulu War Research Society !!!
ANDY LEE

I happened upon the Anglo War Research Society website, well worth viewing the book review section if you want a laugh. Can anyone tell me who Elizabeth Hogan is !!! she deems to only merit a one star rating for John Youngs 'They Fell like Stones' and Mike Snooks latest two books, quite shocking, have you upset this young lady in any way boys? especially shocking when you consider Saul David scored a generous two star rating from Ian Knight. In my opinion the three said books would easily score a five star rating, love to know who Elizabeth Hogan is though.
Also would I be correct in thinking Adrian Greaves has some link to the Anglo Zulu War Research Society as all his books score a five star rating!

Andy Surprised

Alan
Site Admin

Andy,
if you're attending 'Firepower' the 19th. August which I believe is organised by the AZWHS,
you'll be able to see Ms Hogan. Apparently she is one of the special guests who is opening the event.

Andy

See the thread under a similar heading to this which has been running among the general topics since December, and note that the website in question now invites visitors to "register" - while handing over a tenner!

Still, I suppose it is essential to make every effort to defray one's costs. After all, it must be expensive work, reviewing your own books ...

Peter
peterw

I will not have the "pleasure" of meeting Ms Hogan as I cannot attend Firepower. The hijacking of the AZWRS name is a disgrace and leaves a very bitter taste.

Peter
Dawn

One must wonder what Elizabeth Hogan does, or did do, that designates her a 'special guest'. Confused

Dawn
Dave S

Her entry states that she is a full-time student whose interest is Victorian battles. What more would you need?

Dave
Reviews of Like Wolves on the Fold & How Can Man Die Bet
Mike Snook

Andy

Thank you for your kind words about my books How Can man Die Better and Like Wolves on the Fold. What has been really very nice is that they have inspired people to write to me from all over the UK, as well as from USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. It gives me great pleasure to think that people have enjoyed them so much and it spurs me on to complete my next two.

Reviews of my books written by good and honest people can be seen on this web-site.

Regards as ever

Mike
Dawn

"full-time student whose interest is Victorian battles"

Mmmmm, i would think that under those terms half the members of the forum would qualify.

But then maybe I'm being facetious. Wink

Dawn
Dewi Evans

I am totally in agreement with Dave, and would echo his sentiments exactly. I for one will not be attending the 'Firepower' event. Mad

Dewi.
ANDY LEE

Mike

Are we allowed to ask about your next two books (?) exciting news - really is. I know I'll embarrass her but think Dawn (Auckland) does some top class book reviews.

Think we should all go Dewi so that we can meet this Laughing Ms Hogan !!!!!!!!

Andy

Dawn

And, no, I didn't pay Andy to say that.

Dawn
Posting removed
Alan
Site Admin

To avoid controversy, RDVC has removed the posting by Dave S as it suggested that there was a connection between the AZWRS and AZWHS. RDVC is not the judge of accuracy or otherwise of statements which are made here. Adrian Greaves has objected to the connections which were made in the posting. To respect his denial of any such connection here are his specific points.

"I would be grateful if these false statements can be corrected as neither I nor the AZWHS are a party to the AZWRS. Furthermore, anyone can check this by referring to the proper legal bodies that control companies and societies.
The AZWHS has always helped, advised and supplied material to anyone who wants it - and I am happy to include the AZWRS is this arrangement." - (Adrian Greaves)

Dear Mike and others,

The latest Guards Magazine - issue Summer 2006 carries this review:

'Lieutenant Colonel Mike Snook's How Can Men Die Better on the Zulu epic received considerable publicity. He has now written a second book Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift. It deserves equal success for it is an excellent assessment of the battle which was the ultimate triumph against the odds - an impossible victory immortalised by Stanley Baker in the film Zulu. Anyone visiting Ladysmith should certainly take the short drive to Rorke's Drift - preferably with Mike Snook's book readily to hand.'

Short drive = 1.5 hrs.

ANDY LEE

No you didn't Dawn - but I do hope to become your agent one day Laughing

Mike Snook

Andy,

I don't want to get sent off by Alan for advertising [not my intention - there are people who get paid to do that sort of thing] and we are still contemplating the final choice of titles - so I can't in any case quote them. Suffice it to say I think we'll being going to some interesting places in the old Empire, and I dare say there'll be a bit of tough fighting along the way. I dare say it won't be that long before Greenhill start marketing them.

The first one is 85% finished but in addition to the remaining 15% there is a ton of proof-reading and fine tuning to be done yet. I am due to hand it over to at the end of October, and it takes at least 6 months to get to production from that point. So you'll have to find something else to read in the meantime.

It's good of you to ask - I appreciate it. How Can Man Die Better and Like Wolves on the Fold having been so well received I have my work cut out to ensure Books 3 and 4 maintain the same standard and perhaps even improve on it. But I'm quietly confident - it's difficult to be dull or boring about Victorian military history - it's such a fascinating era. I'm discovering lots of interesting things in the research process and have some great stories to tell - I hope with plenty of new angles for people to contemplate. As ever the heroes of the books are the ordinary fighting man - Brits and opposition alike. The villains...well you'll have to wait just a little bit longer to find out!!

Regards as ever

Mike
Anglo Zulu War Research Society !!!