rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Staff Intelligence Assessment
gulpedalive

Hi

I'm sure that I have seen extracts from a staff intelligence assessment of the Zulus compiled for the 1879 campaign. Does anyone know where I can find this document, preferably on the internet. Many thanks.

Paul
Keith Smith

The title of the document to which I think you are referring is The Zulu Army and Zulu Headmen, compiled from the most reliable sources, and published by direction of the Lieut-General Commanding, for the information of those under his command.

The document appears in at least one compendium: Archives of South Africa: Zululand, in six volumes, cost about �900. I hope, therefore, that you don't expect to be able to acquire this document free, gratis and for nothing. Such being the case, if you could locate an original copy of the pamphlet itself, which is very doubtful, you would not be able to afford it anyway.

If you are in South Africa, I believe that a copy is held by The Killie Campbell Africana Library in Durban. There may also be a copy in the British Library in London. Seek and ye shall find.

KIS
John Young

Paul,

There's a copy at the National Army Museum, Chelsea, donated by the Chelmsford family.

John Y.
'The Zulu Army and Zulu Headmen'
gulpedalive

Hi Keith & John

Many thanks for your replies - at least I know I'm not going completely barmy! Smile

I felt sure that I had read an extract of it, either in a book or on the web, but I have been unable to find it since.

The reason that I am interested in it is that I am trying to decide for myself whether, from a command point of view, the disaster at Isandlwana could reasonably have been avoided. And in doing that I want to avoid hindsight and concentrate on what was known at the time, regardless of whether the information was actually used.

Again, many thanks

Paul
The Zulu Army and Zulu Headmen
gulpedalive

Hi John

Yes, the National Army Musuem does indeed have a copy of the above document, or rather it has two copies of it. The first edition published in November 1878 is 13 pages long and the revised edition published in April 1879 is 32 pages long. I wonder why they revised it! Wink

Anyway I have requested digital copies of both - at �1 per page it's cheaper than going down to London.

Regards

Paul
Staff Intelligence Assessment