rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Quantrill

This posting is not intended to provoke, rather to follow-up on what I had undertaken to do, and to furnish, without comment, additional evidence that was not mentioned in my previous postings.
The Killie Cambell visit proved negative (on the issue of Chadwick's map.)
We then visited the Amafa museum and records at Ulundi. A great deal of Chadwick's papers and publications were there, but not the missing map. So we are left with his description only that confirms that he, Chadwick, identified cairns on the ridge.
Next F.W.D.Jackson's "Hill of the Sphinx" (page 77,) states that the Witness of January 1880 dated 3rd and 13th read " On the left front the 'missing companies' of the 24th had been found by Hlubi's Basutos in a Kraal on the ridge."
A visit was made to the records office in Pietermaritzbug and the January 1880 edition found. Alas the first five or six days in January were missing in their entirety. However the 13th January report showed that
a W.E.Bales was tasked to take a working party to Isandlwana to report on the situation. Bales wrote:
" Suggest taking tents, picks, etc and work party of 20-30 men under supervision ----
Since writing the above, I have been informed by Hlobious' [ sic Hlubi] men they have found a kraal near Isandhlwana with the remains of a large number of the 24th and that the Zulus had told them these men had fought till their ammunition ran short and then were assegaied.[sic] Probably this was the company Colonel Pulleine commanded and which was never heard of."

Then another report dated 24 January 1880 was of even more interest.
The heading and report was as follows:
Heading:

" Complete internment ordered by the Legislature Pietermaritzburg."
Report:
" The Governor had selected a non-commissioned officer and with the assisstance of Mr. Fynn who is instructerd to render the non-commissioned officer every assisstance in the proper burial of the dead ----- He [Theo Shepstone] inquired whether the non-commissioned officer referred to had interred the company of the 24th that had marched out of camp and was never heard of since.In reply the Colonial Secretary said he [ the NCO] had not apparently proceeded beyong the [ battle] field."
Peter Ewart

Peter

Interesting.

Incidentally, a copy of the missing issue (3 Jan 1880) of the Natal Witness should be held at the British Newspaper Library, Colindale, London, where there is a good run of the various Natal papers of the time. I imagine they still run a research/look-up/copying service.

It would be interesting to see if that issue attempts to pinpoint the spot, as I gather neither Jackson (I'm not with my books at present) nor the Witness issue you quote from are more specific than "left front" or just "the ridge."

Although Isandlwana was some miles from the spot which Hlubi had already earmarked for his new home (although the battlefield was of course, now within his area of jurisdiction) he did, indeed, visit Isandlwana just a week or so before the first of these two newspaper reports, as he gathered there in Dec 79 with McCrorie, Usherwood, Johnson, Smith & Wheelwright. By Jan 1880 at the latest, Johnson had cast around for a suitable place to throw up a hut, which he did with the assistance of local Zulus in the first few weeks of the year, NE of the mountain and in the shadow of the Nqutu ridge, roughly where the village is today.

Although Johnson used some of the battlefield debris for building material, I haven't seen any correspondence from him that year which mentions the discovery of British remains up on the ridge, although during that time he did report that dogs regularly unearthed partly hidden remains - Zulus as far as I understand - in the area due north of the camp, either up on the slopes (as I understand) or perhaps even further out. However, this was almost certainly after - and unconnected with - the discoveries mentioned in the Witness and more in way of the routine discoveries of remains which continued for some time.

The route Hlubi and his people took for any journey between his new home and Isandlwana may well have taken them through the country on the other side of the ridge north of Isandlwana mountain, as his settlement was close to where St Augustine's is now and also spread towards where the present town of Nqutu is and the future (but now more or less defunct) baSotho village of Mafitleng. This route, if taken, may have been more direct than the old track from Isandlwana towards R/Drift and would explain why his people came across any remains.

Peter
Peter Quantrill

Peter,
Thank you for your detailed and informed reply. Would it be possible for a U.K. enthusiast to follow up on your suggestion that the missing 3 January Witness may be available at the British Newspaper Library and to quote its contents?
Two contemporary maps show a kraal or kraals just under the Tahelane Ridge.
The Witness reports indicated 'a kraal near Isandlwana' and 'at the foot of the Inqutu.'
The newspaper the 'Colonist' 19th January 1880,also reported on the issue. Would Colindale also have copies of the Colonist?
Nil return from RSA I'm afraid.
Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

A quick look at their website <www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html> confirms that the various runs of Natal newspapers held there (Witness, Colonist, Mercury & Times of N) all include the period & date in question.

You'll see they provide a copying service by post/email although it may be easier for a visiting reader to ensure there is no slip-up by calling in to search for and identify the report first. I am very rarely in London but hopefully someone more local can help by popping in. I wonder if the other two papers also carried a report?

Don't suppose by any chance the current Witness premises in PMB hold back copies?

Peter
Peter Quantrill

Peter,
Nil return from the Natal Witness, I fear, but still exploring other avenues.
However, persistant contemporary press reports certainly throw a question mark over the issue.
Agreed, it is probably easier for anyone in the local area to pay a visit. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to volunteer should the subject interest them?
Peter
Michael Boyle

Not sure if this will help but The Mercury and The Witness (as well as thousands of other's) archives are available from an on-line subscription service -

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

Their search function yielded 16 hits on "Isandlwana", 64 hits on "Isandhlwana", 87 for "Isandula" and 602 for "Sandula" at which point I tired. Doesn't neccessarily mean they have what you need though it would appear they go back pretty far.

I haven't subscribed yet as my discretionary funds are currently tied up in book purchases and old fashioned magazine subscriptions. (Funny how they seem to fall due as the Holidays approach!)

MAB
Ball bag question