rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Pte 971 Thomas Driscoll .
Sapper Mason

Firstly thank you to John Young for his answer regarding my TRANSVAAL RANGERS query , this time round my question concerns one Pte Thomas Driscoll entered as a defender at Rorke`s drift. No matter what source i look up there seems to be conflicting evidence as to his ACTUAL identity.

According to a copy of his death certificate he died aged 68 in 1931 which makes his date of birth circa 1863 and so c 16 by 1879 , not a candidatre for correct data i feel .

The South Wales Argus ( 1929 ) for Jan 22 1929 indicates his age as circa 73 which makes date of birth c 1846 , also known as THOMAS TREAL and Tom Tambourine by another source . There is also another report which indicates he was 77 when he died .

According to what i have seen he was born in Dowlais in Glamorganshire , checking the records i have found two candidates who may well fit the bill .One was born c 1857 , an only son to Irish parents and the other born c 1859 again to Irish parents with many siblings , both of these ( Thomas Driscoll ) are shown as being born in Dowlais . I also believe the PARENTS of both these sons are related having originated from the same area of Ireland.

The problem of course is this , which if any of these two Thomas DRISCOLL births is indeed Pte Driscoll ? . I understand that contempary reports indicate that Thomas Driscoll was a batchelor and so his line ends at his death. i would be greatful for clarity on this please , thank you , Graham .
Pte 971 Thomas Driscoll .