rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
props from `zulu`
jay

i recently bought a presumed Henri-Martini Rifle from the `zulu` film on Ebay and would like to know how you can tell whether it is a genuine piece. Are they all made by bapty & Co ? Did some of the actors use proper henri-Martinis ? How many were made for the film? Thanks for your help.
Barry Iacoppi N.Z

I was not aware that “prop” Martini Henrys were made for the film Zulu. I could be wrong. In the film they appear to be all working Martinis of various MKs including at least one MKIV. There are also a number of bolt action Enfields used by “background” extras. Out of interest if you look closely you will note from the cocking indicators that some of the Martinis used in that film have been reassembled incorrectly.
I am aware that a large number of plastic/rubber Martini Henrys were made for the film “Four Feathers” and these were on the market a year or so back. It could be that you have one of them.
baztaylor

Bapty certainly supplied real Martinis for Zulu. They are selling some of them off, being a mixture of decommissioned pieces, later army issue and also some pre-1879 army issue.

Cheers

Barry
Zulu Martini Henry's
David Glynne Fox

I recently bought a Martini Henry rifle which was used in Zulu. It is a Mk1 updated to a Mk11 and is a genuine rifle. This was purchased at a military Fair from a well known dealer who obtained it from the armourer who supplied the weapons for the film. I believe a few of these have been released for general sale. Hope this is of use. David

David Glynne Fox

As an afterthought, and especially with Zulu artefacts and memorabilia currently fetching rather high prices, I would expect some less scrupulous dealers and suchlike to offer the above as genuinely used in the film. This you have to take on face value I'm afraid. It is almost impossible to know if a particular rifle was used in the real thing, let alone in a film, so I would suggest that before spending money, try to ascertain some sort of provenance if possible. Otherwise, if in doubt, leave it where it is, unless of course, it is reasonably priced and you really want it regardless. Additionally, you can always ask the opinion of those more expert than I on this topic, such as Neil Aspinshaw or Barry Iacoppi or Adrian Whiting. I know this doesn't help a lot but you have to be so careful these days. I would hate to see anyone ripped off unnecessarily.
David

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your contributions.

My wife told me that she was quite happy for me not to have a real rifle. The fact that no one has been killed with it makes her feel OK.

If there were so many real Henri-Martinis used in the film Zulu, I would think that the South African authorities may have been rather worried if some of the rifles went `missing`? Is that why the film makers were so closely being watched all the time?

Cheers,

Jay Razz
props from `zulu`