rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lieutenant "Clemmy" Clements of the 24th don't you
Kenty

I ask a lot of questions, I know, but I am of an inquisitive disposition, much to the chagrin of my anterior Primary School teacher, Mrs Deller, who had to explain what a bosom was when I spied her changing for one of our habitual Tuesday morn swimming lessons at the unripe age of five and three quarters.

Can anyone acquaint me with details of the above Lieutenant, whom I believe served throughout the campaign and unless my information is amiss was present midst the battle of Ulundi.

What were his forenames, where was he born, how old was he, did he purchase his commission and perhaps the most crucial element for my purposes, which unhappily I cannot yet betray, is whether he was stationed in Chatham in 1877?
Martin Everett

Ralph Arthur Penryn CLEMENTS (1855-1909)

His command at Nooitgedacht was somewhat controversial (13 December 1900) - he was commanding 12th Infantry Brigade as a local Major General.

Awarded a DSO in Burma (1886). CB in 1904

He was commissiined from the North Lincolnshire militia into the 24th in 1874. Militia menat you avoided the entrance exam and course at RMC Sandhurst. Army List say he was at Ulundi - but he may have been with the rest of the 1/24th as he was acting as Quartermaster.

Served in South Africa 5/3/1875 to 1/6/1881.

He was born at Upton St Leonards in Gloucestershire. He died at Quetta.

Lieutenant "Clemmy" Clements of the 24th don't you