rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
David Niven
Simon Rosbottom

His father was Lieutenant William E.G. Niven, who died at Gallipoli on 21st August 1915, aged 37, serving with the Berkshire Yeomanry. He was reported missing until 1917.

On David's return to Hollywood after the war he was made a Legionnaire of the Order of Merit (the highest American order that can be earned by an alien). This was presented to Lt. Col. David Niven by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Simon Rosbottom

During WWII Pvt. Peter Ustinov was batman to Lt. Col. David Niven.

On his father' side, Ustinov was a member of the old Russian nobility. On his mother's side, he was a member of the Ethiopian Royal Family. His great grandfather, a Swiss military engineer, was married to the daughter of Emperor Tewodrose II.

Can anyone fill in the missing bit?

I think Coll already has!

JY
Peter Ewart

Simon

21 Aug 1915 - has there ever been a more fateful day in British military history? (Well, I suppose 22 Jan 1879 or 1 Jly 1916 would run it close!) Churchill later "waxed eloquent" about the carnage among the landed gentry at Chocolate Hill & the Salt Lake that day. What a mess! Lord Longford (already captured in the 2ABW) took part in the dismounted charge on 21 Aug but, like many others, his charred body was never found.

John

That same day, Sir Thomas Lees Bt, Dorset Yeomany (2nd South Midland Mounted Div if I recall correctly) also copped it, having rushed back from Australia to join the show, after serving Down Under as ADC to to the Governor of NSW, Lord Chelmsford no less, since 1911/12 - so that might qualify as a (very tenuous!) connection too. A few years earlier, in S Africa, my maternal grandfather's first cousin (15th Hussars) had been Lees' batman. Lees' widow, Blanche, later married FM Sir Alan Brook, later Lord Alanbrook, CIGS in WW2.

For David Niven to lose a grandfather on 22 Jan 1879 and a father on 21 Aug 1915 must be as unique as one can get.

Out of reach for four days from tomorrow so I thought I'd contribute my ha'porth to a fascinating thread.

Peter

P.S. Woody, did I ever offer the KLH a snap of Major-Gen Degacher's plaque on the south wall of the nave here? Not many chaps - even major-generals - get a brass plaque in two cathedrals!
The genes will out