rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Keith Smith

Johnny

Have you noticed the odd dates on your posts - perhaps the date on your PC is set wrongly?

Julian

I expect to be in Jo'burg next year. Let me know what you need and if it is accessible, I can try to get it for you. I propose to go to the Uni. of SA in Pretoria. Unless, of course, that is too late for you.

KIS
Dawn

Keith

I've looked at the dates of Johnny's posts and they seem to be OK to me. Are you sure you're not looking at the 'date joined'?

I thought the date of the posts was set by the website anyway because my posts are 12 hours behind (according to NZ time) when I post them. I believe its set to GMT. Whenever I want to know what time it is in England, I look at the forum. Very handy. Smile

Dawn
Peter
Site Admin

Incidentally, if you go to your profile (at the top), you can set your timezone.. Smile

Handy eh?
Julian whybra

Johnny
Thanks. That won't be too late. I've learnt to sit on things I've found till the time is right. I'll post you privately.
Johnny Hamman

Hi all,

My Pc settings are correct as far as date and time are concerned. I am not sure what date you are referring to.

Julian,

I am not sure whether you responded correctly. You addressed me, but responded to Keith. I can follow up anything via telephone, but I will not be in Johannesburg personally. My daughter will be there in December, if you want anything picked up.

Johnny
Keith Smith

Johnny/Dawn

Must be another 'senior moment'! The date posted looks fine today.
Sorry Johnny.

KIS
Dawn

Peter

Theres a reason I keep it at GMT. See private message! Smile

Dawn
Julian whybra

Apologies Johnny, I meant Keith.
Rich

"The last word on the AZW has clearly not been spoken"....Johnny H.

How true and I agree with that. So long as the AZW is part of history there will always be stories to tell, old stories and NEW stories. It'll never reach bottom that's for sure. For what is history but stories already told. Successive generations need to interpret and analyze them in order to understand what went before.

This site surely gets its share of controversy and in a way that's good. it means everybody is ALIVE and ATTENTIVE! The past is not forgotten nor are famous deeds. Johnny H puts the microscope on the fellows at RD and Isandhlwana just as I on those who fell in 480 BC at Thermopylae as Mike noted. Incredible men all around. For me, it just rivets and captures the imagination. Yes to be a fly on the wall!

On another note, Phil noted that he was reluctant to publish the diaries of his relation who was in the AZW. I surely could understand it however I'd think publishing it would open up those possible NEW stories that could come out of those who wrote about it. I'd think it would be a good thing for AZW history. Even if the diaries were published they'd be "truth" no matter what came after it. Who knows? It's just possible that those who will read could then get some new insight on the war, its particpants and their behavior. No doubt there could be a treasure trove of information there just waiting to be ferreted out.
"What really happened at Rorke's Drift?"