rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cetshwayo's blue plaque
Phil Read

An article in this month's 'Heritage' magazine mentions that English Heritage, who now run the blue plaque scheme, have honoured Cetshwayo with a plaque. So I presume that an unveiling ceremony will take place outside his former home sometime in the near future.

Thought that this might be of interest.

Phil.
Sawubona

Phil,
Pardon the ignorance of a back-water colonial, but what exactly is the "blue plaque scheme"? Some background info would surely be appreciated. Thanks from a Yank
Peter Ewart

Sawubona

English Heritage is the name of the government agency responsible for many of the historic buildings and other important sites in this country, such as castles, stately homes and other (but by no means all) historic locations. In another guise it once went under the name of the Minsistry of Public Buildings and Works.

The Blue Plaque Scheme, run these days by English Heritage, involves placing a circular or oval blue plaque (I suspect sizes vary, but from dinner plate upwards I'd say) on buildings which were once occupied by notable historic figures - with, for example, a sort of "John Chard VC lived here, c1890-95" sort of inscription. Presumably EH consider applications or suggestions from all & sundry, although these days historical or literary associations and societies are probably behind most of the applications, as they like to see their hero or heroine commmemorated in such ways. Blue plaques don't seem to be a recent idea, so the scheme may predate the foundation of English Heritage (early 1970s?) and, to be honest, there is probably hardly a house in the country which wouldn't qualify somehow!

Presumably King Cetshwayo's London residence of August 1882 is being marked in this way. As you'd imagine, markers which aren't part of the Blue Plaque Scheme are also common. A couple of miles from where I live, there is a plaque (but I don't think a blue one) on the front of a terraced cottage in Sandwich, Kent, to one of the Founding Fathers of the US, bearing the inscription: "Thomas Paine, author of The Rights of Man lived here" followed by the dates.

I might just start campaigning for a few Blue Plaques for the Revd George Smith - there will be quite a few qualifying addresses!

Peter
Phil Read

Sawubona

Sorry, perhaps I should have explained it, but Peter has done it better than I could.

The scheme was started by the Royal Society of Arts in 1866 and the first blue plaque - to Lord Byron - appeared the following year. It was taken over by the old Greater London Council, then in 1986 by English Heritage. There are about 800 official plaques adorning buildings today, predominantly in London.

Plaques planned for 2006 include those to Cetshwayo, Bob Marley, Alastair Sim, Guy Gibson VC and Sir John Betjeman. An interesting group I think you'll agree!

Phil
Peter Ewart

Definitely a very interesting collection, Phil! And, for accuracy's sake, I ought to correct my guess for the appearance of English Heritage, which was not in the '70s but as recently as 1983 apparently.

P.
John Young

Phil,

All I can say is it has taken long enough.

I first made the suggestion back in 1980, whilst living around the corner from Melbury Road, Kensington, that the house receive a blue plaque. It was initially pooh-poohed as the house already has a blue plaque, to the man who vacated the premises in order for King Cetshwayo to stay there, the artist William Holman-Hunt.

When we were planning for a visit by King Goodwill a couple of years back, the subject was raised again. The suggestion was met with a good response from the then Mayor of the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, however, as the King's visit didn't go ahead the plaque was also shelved. However, with the support of a former Mayor of Brixton, who has a keen interest in South Africa, especially KwaZulu-Natal, the matter kept being given at least some attention, this appears to have paid off.

Was there any date mentioned? As members of the Zulu Royal House have arrived this evening to take part in the Royal Engineers event starting next week, I'm sure they would love to take part in it.

John Y.
Phil Read

John

I spoke to Alison Frappell of English Heritage's blue plaque office and she gave me the following information regarding the unveiling:

She said that she contacted the South African embassy some time ago to involve them in a possible unveiling. They in turn have attempted to contact King Goodwill with a view to him getting involved. Although the embassy have left several messages with his office, they haven't as yet had a reply. She said that if they hadn't heard anything by the end of June they would go ahead anyway.

She said that she would keep me informed, but if you want to speak to her direct for more information, you can contact her at her office on 020 7973 3794.

Phil
John Young

Phil,

Thanks for that I have passed the information on to a visiting member of the Zulu Royal House, doubtless he will inform his nephew, His Majesty King Goodwill, of the attempts to contact him.

I will contact English Heritage on Monday, work permitting, in an effort to insure that the Zulu Royal House can be represented at the ceremony.

John

Anglo-Zulu War Royal Research Trust
peterw

John

What's the Anglo-Zulu War Royal Research Trust? This is the first time I have seen this mentioned.

Does this mark the end of the "genuine" AZWRS since the name now appears to have been adopted by a book reviewer?

Peter
John Young

Peter,

The Anglo-Zulu War Royal Research Trust has been founded by members of the Zulu Royal House, and registered at the High Court in Pietermaritzburg. The objectives of the trust are the same as the former A-ZWRS, the name of which as you must be aware is registered as a limited company at the same business address as another limited company with an alike name.

More soon when I meet with other members of the trust later this week.

Regards,

John
Dave S

John,
do you mean the same address as the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society?

Dave
John Young

Dave,

It could well be!

John Y.
Anglo-Zulu War Royal Research Trust
Robert John

John,

Is it possible for anyone to become a member of the above Society or is it only for certain people?

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert,

I think I can reply with more authority on the subject of membership, after I meet with some of the other Trustees towards the end of the week.

I hope that you can bear with me until then.

Regards,

John
Rich

I noticed that one of the qualifiers for a blue plaque is that the "well-informed passerby should at once recognize their name". Looks to me that all these books and discussions on the Anglo-Zulu War in the last couple years have raised Cetshwayo's name to a very public level! I'd bet more people would know about him than say blue plaque man Robert Polhill Bevan who was a London painter of the 1900's.
Cetshwayo's blue plaque