rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Keith Smith's new book
Peter Ewart

Anyone else waiting - or still waiting - for delivery of Keith's new book? Despatched my cheque to DP&G well over a fortnight ago but no sign of it yet.

P.
Rich

Peter..I'd like to ask what is Keith's subject? Thx...
Peter Ewart

Rich

You'll find a reference to it (Select Documents - a Zulu War Source Book) under the Book Reviews section of this website, where DP&G Military Books list it as published in August.

I know that it is out and being very well received. One whose opinion I respect 100% has described it to me as "a monumental work." (Well, it is 524 pages!) He adds that "it should no longer be necessary for anyone to publish a general overview of the whole or any part of the AZW ever again" although he does add that such a development is rather unlikely!

I was fortunate and privileged to see the work in an earlier state and was bowled over by its scope and content, as Keith has selected a huge collection of mainly primary souces from which to tell the narrative of the whole war, its causes and immediate aftermath, the whole flowing seamlessly from 1878 all the way through to late 1879. Some of the sources used will be familiar (but seldom published in full) but an awful lot, especially a good deal of correspondence and reports, appears for the first time and is mouth watering! Contributors here already know the rigorous standard of Keith's research & writing.

As far as I know, SP&G books are only available through themselves (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I've decided to chase my copy today. I don't know whether it is because it is newly published or what, but hopefully others won't have to wait as long.

Peter
Rich

very good...appears prodigious!...I think it will be in my library shortly too...
mike snook 2

Rich

I cannot recommend it too highly. It is worth its weight in gold.

Regards

Mike
Martin Everett

Dear All,

I have spoken to Bryan Martin of DP & G today. He has been on holiday and is processing outstanding orders for Keith's book as fast as he can.

We should have copies at Brecon for sale by next week to help museum funds. There is also a fresh version of 'VC of Wales and the Welsh Regiments' (now in two volumes) on its way from Alister Williams shortly.

Rich

Martin..that's great...would you please put me down for a copy when you get them in at the museum? Thanks very much!
great
clive dickens

Martin
That is great I will now wait untill you have them at the museum.
CLIVE
Keith Smith

Peter E and Mike S.

Thank you for your very kind words about the new book.

Peter, I have tried to reach you by private email and through messages here, to no avail. Have you received anything or do we have the same problem occurring again?

KIS
Peter Ewart

Not a sausage, Keith. Neither at home nor via the rdvc private messages. January all over again? I'm emailing you from my work address & you can see if you get through to that one if you like. Also, try a reply to an email from me at home tonight.

I would think the propblem might be at your end if pte messages are not coming in (they have from others) but if it is at my end, you'll be pleased to hear we're installing a new computer next week!

Peter
Martin Everett

Keith,

I have sent you two emails without a response - thought you may be sitting on a beach somewhere with your feet up or more probably on a battlefield in RSA!

Keith Smith

Martin

Thanks for that - now I know something is a bit odd. I received both emails and replied to them the same day, as I usually do. I thought it was strange that you should ask me the same thing twice! I am going to turn off my virus protection and see if that makes a difference when I send you a note. Let me know if you receive it OK.

KIS
Michael Boyle

Keith,

I wouldn't disable virus protection, there's very little chance that would affect e-mail, I would instead disable spam protection to see if that works then re-enable it one bit at a time until you find the best setting. You can also just leave it alone and manually enter e-mail address exceptions as trusted.

I'd hate to see you going from simple e-mail problems to a virus trashed computer!

(Looking forward to ordering your new book through RRW, no hoops to jump through!)

MAB
Keith Smith

Michael B.

Thanks for that. I haven't yet disabled it but am now using my laptop instead. I will try your idea and see how I go.

KIS
Rich

Keith....just an fyi..looking forward to your book from the RRW too....I want some of that information in yer head to make its way into mine...Wink...
Keith Smith's new book