rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Horace Smith-Dorrien
shaubek

Hi all,

does anyone know of a book about the life of Horace Smith-Dorrien called "The man who disobeyed". The title I believe refers to him making some sort of stand, against orders, during the Retreat from Mons during the First World War.

Does anyone know of this book and where it can be purchased?

Thanks, Steve
Martin Everett

I have read it....

The Man who Disobeyed: Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien and His Enemies
by A J Smithers (London, 1970)

Although not given a command in the British Expeditionary Force sent to France on 3 August 1914, following the sudden death of General Sir James Grierson on 17 August, he took over the command of the 2nd Army Corps. Despite Field-Marshal French�s specific orders to retire from Mons, he halted the German advance by making a stand at Le Cateau, which enabled the British Expeditionary Force to extricate itself and consequently the lives of many experienced British regular soldiers were saved. French never forgave this breach of orders. After a further disagreement with French, he was dismissed as Commander 2nd Army in May 1915.

John Young

Shaubek,

There was a copy on e-Bay the other day, also try Abebooks.

A better explanation by Smith-Dorrien, himself, appears as A Judgement of History, the text of which I received from his son.

If you want any further information on Smith-Dorrien, please contact me using the 'Private Messages' section.

JY
Peter Ewart

Steve

Yes, I have had a copy for some years and it is a fairly typical biography (of the popular type) of the period - published 1970. As John says, it does come up on abebooks.com from time to time although I think it is relatively scarce these days as I know there are one or two people after it. Perhaps the original print-run was not high.

The Isandlwana experience is covered fairly briefly although there is a nice photo of Isandlwana mountain from the plain, to the rear of "Page's" [sic - Pope's!] company. The rest of his career is also covered but obviously the Great War forms the larger part of this as the book itself is a tribute to his decision at Le Cateau and a defence against his treatment by French.

Smithers also published The Kaffir Wars, 1779-1877 (his expression, not mine) and is still with us - I met him a year or two back as he lives only a mile or so from me.

The ISBN is 085052 030 4, although I doubt if that's much use for an out-of-print title. Best of luck in your search.

Peter
abe books
clive dickens

Crying or Very sad
Yes
John they do have it on ABE books four choices starting fro �58 up to �212
OK if you have just come up on the lottery Crying or Very sad
Clive
Peter Ewart

Clive

I thought you must have mis-typed the prices but have just checked! Astonishing, but I suppose it simply reflects demand (if they do eventually go at those prices, of course). I knew it was reasonably scarce but have not seen four copies for sale at the same time before. All across the pond, I see.

I'm sure I only paid a few pounds for mine but it was probably ten to fifteen years ago.

Peter
shaubek

Thanks to all,

I least I now know that the book exists and where I can get it from even if it is somewhat on the pricey side.

Thanks again

Steve
Peter Ewart

Further to my note above about the author, I have just learnt today - quite by coincidence - that AJ Smithers died about a fortnight ago. He was a very interesting man with a military background (The Buffs) and as his research on Smith-Dorrien was nearly 40 years ago he was in the position of being in touch with the last surviving son of the General himself. My copy of S-D's Memories of 48 Years Service was a kind gift of his own copy from AJS.

Just to correct my statement above that he was still alive.

P.E.
S-D
AMB

One can only speculate as to how S-D would have chased the Hun if he'd actually made his East African comd - sadly his illness in C/Town prevented his making up to East Africa.

AMB
Martin Everett

Dear AMB,

But then Smuts would not have got S-D's command. Another round of what if's.

S-D
AMB

Martin,

Very true. The EA campaign with S-D might have turned out one of many ways. However, illness in C/T put pay to that!

AMB
Horace Smith-Dorrien