rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Images Of An Adams MkIII Revolver
Coll

Saw this by chance in the Pat Donnelly Antique Arms site.

www.patdonnellyantiquearms.com/may2006/display.asp?item=475

Coll
Coll

Dear Firearms Experts

Can I just confirm that the Adams revolver shown in the above link would have been used in the AZW, and is it a six-shot ?

Would it be a break-open loader, or swing-out cylinder ?

Will all the used cartridges be ejected automatically on opening, or does a lever have to be operated to eject them all together, or individually ?

Thankyou

Coll
John Young

Coll,

I do not profess to be a firearms expert, despite carrying one for about half of my service, but here is my take on it.

It is a 6-shot, solid-frame gate-loading pistol.

The gate is on the right-hand side of the cylinder. Spent cartridges would be ejected by the use of the ejector rod, which swings across from its position under the barrel.

Have a look at http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/Pictures/apc_0179-21.JPG for a view of an open gate.

I believe the Bulldog I have operates on the same principle, the gate and the ejector is the means for loading and unloading, as it neither breaks or cylinder swing out.

For the various changes to the Adams see The List of Changes... 2227 for the introduction of Pistol, Adams', Central Fire B.L. (Mark II); 2355- Pistol, Adams', Central Fire B.L. (Mark III) - which relates to the 'more efficient extractor'. 2450 Pistol, Revolver, Adams', Central Fire B.L. (Mark IV) - this improvement related ejector spring cover. All of these changes were made in 1872, to the pistol originally introduced in 1868, which was a converted percussion cap pistol. A lanyard ring was added in 1878 by L. of C. 3316. In the same year L. of C. 3567 introduced Pistols, Revolver, B.L., Tranter, Interchangeable, which was similar in appearance to the Adams.

Clear as mud?

John Y.
Coll

Thanks John

I do have a picture in one of my gun books of the same Adams revolver, but it doesn't include much in the way of specifics.

The image of the open gate was very helpful.

Thanks again

Coll
Coll

Is this the best book about Adams revolvers, including those used in the AZW ? -

Adams' Revolvers.
by Chamberlain & Taylerson.

Thanks

Coll
Images Of An Adams MkIII Revolver