rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Osprey Publishing - New Graphic Series (no AZW yet !)
Coll

Anyone aware of this new series by Osprey ?

Apparently the titles are set out comic-book style, but at present only covering what appears to be a few battles from American Campaigns.

It does seem unusual for Osprey, but I wondered if Isandlwana and/or Rorke's Drift may be covered at some stage.

Any know of any such plans ?

Thankyou

Coll
Martin Everett

Coll,

Nobody has contacted us about it. Neither are we aware that anyone is working on it. A chance for you to shine - and make sure that the story of Durnford is told to your satisfaction, perhaps.

Coll

Martin

Not a bad idea. Only thing is...I can't draw.

Seeing this new Graphic series though, makes me think Osprey might also be aiming for the younger readership, as the comic-book style layout reminds me of the Commando war comics I used to read many years ago.

However, instead of made-up stories, the Graphic series is detailing real incidents.

Interesting that Osprey is pursuing this kind of series, but as their titles are usually well-detailed and illustrated, these new titles may be popular.

I would be curious to see what any titles based on Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift would look like, contents wise. Telling the story of the battle in storyboards rather than detailed writing and photographs.

Coll
Dawn

Coll

You don't have to draw to create a graphic novel, as these books are being called. A graphic novel is written like a film script with scenes much like the storyboard that they use to make films. You just write the dialogue or a description of what is happening in the scene. As you have already done scriptwriting, graphic novel writing should just up your street. If the publisher likes the idea, they provide the illustrator to draw the scenes. Only drawback is that you have to share the royalties with the illustrator!

These are definitely aimed at younger people. This style is making a comeback as educators have realised that it is an excellent way to get reluctant readers to read. (Sorry guys but reluctant readers are predominently boys!!) It seems comic books have become respectable at last.

So go for it, Coll. Wink

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

It is tempting, isn't it ?

Although I imagine anything I did would not get beyond the 'drawing board'.

However, as Durnford is so controversial (and my opinions on matters), it is inevitable if such a publication managed to be written (drawn) by myself, it would be allocated to the 'Book To Be Avoided' category.

So, doomed before it is even started.

Coll
Coll

Dawn

After reading your short story, would you not be tempted to write about Isandlwana for this series from Osprey ?

You understand how to use dialogue and movements well in writing.

Coll
Garen

Dawn wrote:
Only drawback is that you have to share the royalties with the illustrator!

As part of my day job involves drawing comic strips, can I just say that I can't think of a better profession with which to share one's royalties!

Garen

What a cool day job! I certainly don't begrudge illustrators getting their share, especially when you see the amount of work required.

Coll
Yes, I guess a comic strip treatment of Isandlwana would work but I'd like to be assured that it has a market before I attempt it. Perhaps I should contact Osprey and then get Garen to do the illustrations?

Dawn
Garen

Oooh... I'd love to (after an Afghan War comic strip, that is)... but I'm already working a comic strip to take up all my days this year!

Back on track - did anyone see that little comic called 'Zulu: Water Cart Rescue' by Colin Mathieson (disclosure: friend of mine). I loved it, really well done. It was on sale at a few of the museums and some Zulu events too, I think - 2 or 3 years ago.

Best - Garen.

Dawn

Yes. I think you should contact Osprey, as they have other books covering AZW battles, uniforms, etc., so the interest must be there, meaning there must be a market.

As this Graphic series appears to only cover American battles so far, a title about Isandlwana would possibly draw Osprey's attention to other British battles - Rorke's Drift etc., as part of this series.

Coll
Dawn

Coll

I've had a look at the website and I can see what they're doing. I've ordered a copy of their latest edition and when it arrives, I'll see the format and I'll go from there. I see they work to a formula, i.e. background, who's who, the battle, aftermath, additional resources etc. I think it could work for either Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift, or both. I would have to submit a proposal of not more than 2000 words, which shouldn't be too hard for me to do, and then I can go from there. I'll let you know how I get on.

Watch this space!

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

I'm delighted. I'll definitely be watching with great interest ! Very Happy

Coll
How About Frank Miller As Illustrator ?
Neo

Osprey's 'Graphic History' series is aimed at young readers, but what about the older readership ? Answer - Frank Miller. He is well-known for his Graphic Novels and is now a Big Player in the Film Industry. - Who's a better choice than that ? He can draw books about battles and interest film companies at the same time ! What would be his vision of Isandhlwana or Rorke's Drift in this type of illustrated novel ? - and the film versions of them !

Last edited by Neo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawn

Neo

Do you have his number?! Wink

Dawn
Haydn Jones

There is a French (I think) man/woman "out there" who has done a series of illustrated /graphic/comic strip - call them what you will - books covering episodes from the AZW. They are all in French but are beautifully illustrated. The author is clearly a big fan of the subject. As I recall, and as one might imagine, the death of the Prince Imperial gets particular heroic and patriotic treatment!

Useless article that I am, I'm afraid I can't for the life of me remember the author's name at the moment but I'll keep searching the French 'Amazon' site and if I find anything I'll post it here. In the meantime, is anybody else aware of these publications?

H
Osprey Publishing - New Graphic Series (no AZW yet !)