rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
New Years Day & An Old Chestnut
Sapper Mason

I am sure you all have read the tv listings for the New Year ? , in case not a " certain " film is to be shown on Jan 1 st 2007 , i wonder if " Zulu " has actually been shown on Jan 22nd ?.

Is there any validity to the oft asked question " Is there a photograph of Williams Jones VC when part of the Buffalo Bill show ?" . It is widely known William Jones VC took part in the show but over the last 15 years or so i have heard rumour and denial that this picture exists , can anyone shed any light on this please ?, Graham .
Coll

I was surprised see that a statue of Buffalo Bill was unveiled in the east end of Glasgow. Never knew he was there, but can't really fathom why a statue to him was necessary.

Coll
Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.
TonyJones

Dear Graham,
the reported dates that 593 took part in Buffalo Bill's have ranged from early 1880's,1887 and 1893.In the book 'Buffalo Bill's Wild
West - An American Legend' by R.L. Wilson with Greg Martin (Greenhill Books,1998,ISBN 1-85367-367-6),the dates given for the European leg of the show's tour was 1887-1892.I have a group picture of the tour when it stopped in London (Earls Court) in 1887.An inspection of the individuals present in the show,with a magnifying glass,can't identify 593 with any confidence.Another problem is that cowboy hats obscure a good deal of the facial details.It seems 593 kept a low profile whilst on tour
and the only way to find out any further information would be to visit one of the museums dedicated to Buffalo Bill's in the USA.Despite the large amount of memorabilia produced by Buffalo Bill's for the tours,I find it unusual that 593 didn't bring any items back and distribute them to the Frodsham family whilst he was a lodger with them,as none of the members from his second step-family that I have dealt with have ever mentioned that he either brought stuff back or gave it to their ancestors.

Tony.
new years eve
clive dickens

Laughing Laughing
Zulu is being shown onITV on New Years eve now that is a surprise .
Clive
Peter Ewart

Coll

He was never there, Coll, any more than Durnford was. But the Glaswegians were offered the choice of a statue of WFC or AWD and the good citizens went and chose Cody. Now how about that for a decision?

Peter
Wink (Only joking!)
Coll

Peter

Hmm.....AWD ? Does that mean Another Waste of Dough ? Wink

The ol' Wild West re-enactors were quite pleased.

Aren't our heroes interesting enough for these decision makers ? Confused

The World's gone mad ! Evil or Very Mad

Coll
Martin Everett

Yes, you can watch 'Zulu' on New Year's Day at 1330 hrs on ITV, then 'The Great Escape' on BBC2 at 1715 hrs followed by the 2002 version of 'The Four Feathers' at 2100 hrs. Now there's feast.

Sheldon Hall

If you're in a post-party mood, I wouldn't recommend the remake of THE FOUR FEATHERS. It's enough to drive a man to drink!

Incidentally, I don't think "ZULU" ever has been shown on 22 January - not on one of the UK terrestrial channels at least. It tends to be given a Christmas or Bank Holiday slot (a sure sign of its popularity) and after New Year's Day there aren't any in January.

Sheldon
Mel

Sheldon
Whilst on the subject of "Zulu", have you any update on when Jay Pinto's black and white "making of" film may be released?