rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
George W Hudd
ANDY LEE

Can anyone out there confirm if George W Hudd was a Rorke's Drift defender Question Confused

Cheers

Andy

Dawn

I think the answer to that is 'no'.

In "The Noble 24th" the following appears:

Hudd, William George, 25b/210 Private. Attested 26/5/74, age 19 years. In italics is the following:

"There appeared in the United States of America in 1987 a publication that. by self-admission, leaned very heavily ( and entirely without permission) on The Silver Wreath. The compiler of the work in question advances numerous theories, none of which is sustantiated by actual documentary evidence. One such claim concerns the presence at the defence of Rorke's Drift of Private Hudd.....In a newspaper article Hudd, who served in the 1st Bn 24th Foot, makes no such claim. In fact he professes to have been a survivor at Isandhlwana at which action he claims to have received a 'wound in the leg'"

So therein lies the controversy, I guess.

Dawn
ANDY LEE

Thanks Dawn - It does appear it is a No but will dig a little deeper. Confused

Martin Everett

Andy,

Where are you going to dig a little deeper - you do have a source unknown to me?

ANDY LEE

Come on Martin - you have a job to envy please don't always be so bloody miserable and negative.

Andy

peterw

Andy

I think that comment is out of order. Martin asked a perfectly sensible question in a reasonable manner.

Peter
Pte Hudd 1 / 24th.
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
I found the following if of any help, GEORGE HUDD baptised 1st April 1855 , Minsterworth Glous , our Pte Hudd i wonder ? . I am still not sure of this Pte Richard HEAD whose name crops up once in awhile , is this man a mickey take or for real ? . Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Michael Boyle

I believe Martin's question is often asked and of interest to many of us. People do turn up previously unknown private correspondence or overlooked period newspaper accounts (among other sources) that can add to our understanding. Just the sort of thing we all hope for. ( Keep an eye out for Lord Chelmsford's previously unknown and unpublished draft of "Memoires of a Scapegoat's Life"!)

Can anyone tell me just which publication is alluded to in Dawn's post above? I've tried tracking it down by publication year to no avail. (Though I did come across a 1990 edition of "Roll Call: Killed in Action and Survivors of Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift" for US$143.43 which I believe gives Julian the prize for dearest publication by a current RDVC contributing author!)

Best

Michael
Dawn

Sorry, Michael, I've only just seen your post. "The Noble 24th" is available at the SWB museum website for a modest sum. Much more cost effective than the other publication.

Dawn
Dawn

I should have said museum of the Royal Regiment of Wales. Martin will have me for that! Anyway, I found the link:

http://www.rrw.org.uk/shop/shop.php?action=view&prodid=53

Hope it helps

Dawn
Michael Boyle

Sorry Dawn, I should have been more specific . "The Noble 24th" was part of my first purchase order with the RRW if memory serves. I was wondering to which US publication in 1987 they were referring.

Come to think of it I wonder if the the museum is in for another name change with the recent amalgamation of regiments.

Best

Michael
John Young

Michael,

Sounds like Toby Giese's Men of the 24th, which was indeed a 1987 publication. Still available for about $17 from the shops, or try e-Bay, where I paid about $4 for mine.

John Y.
Dawn

Michael

Funny enough, The Noble 24th was one of my first purchases too. I refer to it often.

Dawn
Peter Ewart

Sapper

Just for the record, did you mean Robert Head rather than Richard Head?

Peter
Pte Head .
Sapper Mason

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed ,
Of course Peter i meant Robert Head , not Richard Head ! , thanks for pointing this out . Was this Private HEAD the same person who " claimed " to have survived Isandlwana Peter ? . There is also a man called Robert Smythe buried in Anfield CEMETERY who " claims " to have been a Rorke's Drift defender , in the same vein as Pte Comberton , died 1919 and buried in West Ham. A 1966 article waxes lyrically about the role George Comberton played , if we were to believe this article ( which of course did not happen as Comberton did not arrive in South Africa till APRIL 1879 ) then even i would have pushed for a VC for this man ! . " Sapper " Wink
George W Hudd