A Soldier Artist in Zululand
Chris

David Rattrays last book now available

See the FDL site for ordering info

http://www.fugitivesdrift.com

Chris
Martin Everett

Chris,

The finished books are being shipped from Cape Town to UK tomorrow. I will let you know when they have arrived. They can be obtained from Barbara Lindsay (Nicky Rattray's sister) and the Regimental Museum.

Alan
Site Admin

The launch of A 'Soldier-Artist in Zululand:William Whitelocke Lloyd and the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879' by David Rattray is to be launched in Johannesburg on 13t. March 2007.
Nicky Rattray will be at the launch and announcing the establishing of the DAVID RATTRAY FOUNDATION.
Martin Everett will be there and will present a cheque towards the fund which has been genereously donated by members of the RDVC forum.
We will give details of the final amount after the fund appeal closes on 9th. March.

This article in The Times covers the new book.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article1483670.ece

(if your computer is like mine, you'll need to scroll to the right when it comes up)

In addition to the article, the book is available from the RRW Museum shop.
http://www.rrw.org.uk/shop/shop.php

This is a superb publication - received mine this week. Excellent pictorial material - "then & now". If only David was here to see this project reach maturity - a lasting legacy.
Peter Ewart

Hear, hear. My copy arrived yesterday and even a very hurried "skim" of this work is enough to send one into raptures. Who would have thought - after all these years - that we'd have "the AZW in colour" by someone who was there?

The whole project is so impressive and the publication of all these paintings is a tremendous contribution to AZW history. Difficult to think of an appropriate adjective - "mind-blowing" comes to mind. Well worth every single penny in my opinion - in fact value for money which exceeds very many other AZW works.

Because it is so easy to assume that "Victorian history took place in black and white", a collection like this brings us up sharp (or does me!). And as has been said above, the details in some of the "then & now" comparisons are astonishing.

Peter
COMPLAINT
clive dickens

My only complaint about this book is the cost it takes a lot of saving for an OAP Still I do not smoke so I will get it eventually
Clive
Martin Everett

Dear Alan and everyone,

Here is a review by Janice Farquharson in the Sunday Times (South Africa) - who can be forthright on occasions

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/article.aspx?I'd=415010

Steven Sass

Hi all,

I assume this inquiry is best directed at Martin but if anyone else has information as well, sharing it would be appreciated.

From reading past posts, Martin had mentioned "A Soldier-Artist in Zululand" is not a limited edition publication. However as I was nervously turning the pages on my just received standard edition copy, attempting not to provide myself any reason for self loathing by immediately causing that first crease or small tear, I noticed there were also several limited edition printings that exist. The first being 20 presentation copies which were not for sale. The second, a DeLuxe edition bound in full leather, limited to 26 copies and lettered A-Z. The third, a "Collectors'" edition, bound in half leather and limited to 100 copies, numbered 1-100.

Now I realize obtaining one of these special printings is more than likely a pipe dream but my curiousity has been piqued as to whether any of these were at one time available to readers at large, as well as what one may have expected to pay for such a treasure.

Lastly does anyone know how many standard editions were printed in the first run? Are there are plans to print more, or possibly a second edition, or even special limited printings of a second edition? I do assume this last query is probably unanswerable as such steps may not be taken until it is clear how the first printing is selling.

Any information would help to quench my curiosity.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Last edited by Steven Sass on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Ewart

Steven

When I received a pre-publication brochure some time last year inviting subscription, the De Luxe and Collector's editions were both apparently already taken up - a fact which did not cause me too much concern when contemplating the prices, making them fairly "exclusive"!

From memory, I think the De Luxe version was to retail (although I'm not sure if "retail" is the correct word!) at about �800 or so and the Collector's edition at a somewhat more accessible(!) level - around �350 or so if memory serves, but anyone who still has the publicity details may be able to pin those figures down a bit more accurately, as my conversion from the Rand was probably a bit approximate.

Like you, my very first thought was to turn each page without causing the slightest crease or mark, nervous about spoiling its pristine condition. Perhaps this was a reflection on the purchase price or possibly because of its superb feel, but a week later I'm a little bit more relaxed, although still rather agog as I contemplate the contents and the very moving commentary from the author. In short, I'm very happy indeed with my "poor man's edition"!

In time, I suspect this publication will be seen as a lasting memorial to David Rattray in much the same way as the whole operation at FDL and the development of the DR Foundation.

Peter
Martin Everett

Dear Steven

The answer is 3,000 including the special editions.

David was very taken with the project - and I believe it shows in the final result - and he decided, quite courageously, to finance the whole project himself so that he could control the quality of the finished book. He engaged the best printers, a fine editor and importantly Anthony Marshall who faithfully reproduced Lloyd's watercolours. In order to recup the huge costs, David decided also have special editions and not to sell any books through normal retail outlets - who would naturally insist on normal trade discounts.

A reprint has been discussed, but no decision has yet been made.

I realise that many readers will not have the opportunity of visiting the AZW battlefields - but others may wish to follow in the footsteps of Lloyd and visit the actual places where Lloyd stopped in Zululand to capture the events of 1879 - and enjoy the wonderment that David and Rob experienced in the preparation of the book.

Steven Sass

Peter and Martin,

Thank you both very much. As I am so taken with this book I felt an overwhelming need to find out as much as I could. As you said Peter I am very happy with my "poor man's" edition as well.

Martin, I do appreciate your information as I know it is "gospel" and this is a project that is very important to you.

Regardless of which edition a person has, truly this book is a win for all involved and as sad as circumstances may be, as Peter alluded to, certainly it is a project that will let David live for generations to come.

Cheers,

Steven
mike snook 2

I'm going to see Martin to get my copy next week. I am very excited. Promises to be fascinating. Very Happy
AMB

All,

There were two editions available (as on the original e-mail).

Collectors' Edition:
100 copies, numbered 1 to 100, half-leather binding, with head and tail
bands, marbled endpapers, in a matching slip case. Each volume will be signed by the author. Each collector's name will be hand-inscribed in the book, and names will also be included in the printed alphabetical List of Subscribers if orders are received before 30 September 2006.
Price: R4 500 (�360/$650 approximately)

Pre-Publication Subscribers' Edition:
Hard cover, bound in cloth, with four-colour, laminated dustjacket
with french folds. Each subscriber's name will be included in the printed alphabetical List of Subscribers if orders are received before 30 September 2006.
Price: R990 (�85/$140 approximately)

AMB
A soldier artist
Simon Rosbottom

I received my collectors edition (#29) last night but only had five minutes to look at it. I was hugely impressed and pleased with what I saw - a very fine quality book and the best 40th birthday present I could ask for. Such a tragedy that David won't see the pleasure it brings or hear the discussion it will undoubtedly stimulate.

Only one problem - I'm out tonight too so it'll have to wait until Thursday to look properly, Arghhh!

Regards