rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Kept regt No
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear Forum ,
As is known when a man entered the army in the period we are interested in he was given a regimental number , as often happened a transfer took place to another unit and he was given a different number , often even if he went say from the 1 / 24th to the 2 /24th a different number was issued again , causing much confusion for the likes of such as me when researching records .

When the Cardwell reforms came along numbers issued were kept by an individual throughout his career , my question is this , due to the Cardwell reforms were a whole new set of numbers issued or did a man who served post Cardwell reforms retain the regtimental number he had PRIOR to the change ? .

A point of interest , when G W MABIN transfered to the Military Clerks from the Rifle Brigade he had the number 1566 , according to his service papers he kept this number as a Clerk till the end of his service, were there any other instances where this occured i wonder ? , " Sapper " . Wink
To Clarify
Sapper Mason

Very Happy
What i meant to say was , are there any other cases where a man was given a regimental number , transfered to another regiment and kept the same NUMBER despite being in a diffferent outfit , " Sapper " Wink
Martin Everett

Dear Graham,

I am not sure people would warm to you calling a regiment 'an outfit'. 300+ years of history where is your pride.

There have been various numbering series in use in 24th - South Wales Borderers. Those that you are interesting in - 1/24th started in about December 1856. 2-24th when they were raised in June 1858 - so you see that William Jones VC - joining in December was allocated 2-24/593. If they subsequently changed battalions - a new battalion number was allocated. On 1 July 1873 - a single series was introduced when the Brecon Depot was established - 25th Brigade series - Drummer Orlopp (kia Isandlwana) was 25B/2.

On 1 July 1881, a SWB numbering series was introduced. Any serving soldier re-enlisting after that date would allocated a fresh number in SWB series. (However the two SWB Militia Battalions had separate series).

Last edited by Martin Everett on Sun May 20, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNIT
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear Martin ,
The term unit, regiment, company etc. is not meant to be a slight, it is a term i use when expressing myself as i am sure the forum knows well enough by now. Some people get offended when a person states a man " WINS " the VC as opposed to being awarded a VC, it`s a matter of how you look at this . Thank you for explaining the number allocation, " Sapper " Wink
Corps
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear Martin , Further to my use of the word " UNIT " , in my previous mail . At NO point was it my intention to step on collective toes by using the word , unit . I am puzzled at your seeming objection of this word , not all collection of men in the forces are of a regimental nature , surely the Royal Engineers are a CORPS ??? , they have field companies and squadrons such as 64 Amph Eng Sqn , 23 Amph Eng Sqn and so on . Not being of a regiment i used the word i am familar with and that is UNIT .

I know this is only a small point but one that you feel strongly about , all regiments in the British Army have a rich history such as the 24 th ect but please accept the use of the word unit in it`s proper context , thank you ," Sapper". Wink
Outfit / 1956 ??
Sapper Mason

Rolling Eyes ,
It pays to read my own mails properly ! , the word " outfit " was of course the trigger word , not unit , sorry Martin . Also i did not realise the 1 / 24th were active in 1956 ( a typo i believe ) , " Sapper " Wink
(N.B. The year has been corrected in the meantime - Alan).
Kept regt No