rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alan
Site Admin

... and a brain scan. To see if he had one.

It is strange, that for all the sketches and paintings of Isandlwana that appeared afterwards, not one depicted Durnford.

A colourful character in himself, and I'm sure very paintable to an artist, he was always missing from them Confused

I'm wondering just how much the controversy surrounding him, affected even the artists from including him, or any indirect military influence ?

Coll

PS. Sorry, this post might be in the wrong section Embarassed
Peter Ewart

Careful, Coll, careful - remember you promised! It was only a film, remember, not a very good one and most certainly not an accurate one. Talk of "last stands" encourages us to enter the realms of myth. Had a photographer been present - complete with all his heavy gear, and plenty of time to saunter around taking snapshots of the action - his work would still not have appeared, as the press (even the illustrated mags) were not yet carrying photos. (Woodcut adapations were very common, of course).

Why no sketches of Durnford in action at Isandlwana? The British army had been defeated in battle in some far flung outpost. It had lost almost the equivalent of a whole battalion of infantry, whose courageous defence had to be extolled, as it was in literature & art. All other involvement was peripheral in comparison. Durnford may have been involved in the command at one stage and blamed in some quarters (& there was the added publicity, at times but in certain circles only, generated by his brother & Miss Colenso, but that was small in comparison and well after the event, when things had moved on) but his actual specific involvement in any of the fighting was not a particular aspect of the attention to the battle in this country. His unfortunate foray was, of course, known about, and the fact that his name was among the list of many other British officers who failed to survive. But what was there relating to Durnford which might grab the attention of artists, compared with groups of back to back infantry, or the colours being saved? Nothing really. Had the topic been suggested to an artist I suspect the reaction might have been "Colonel Who?"

What would they sketch? An officer on horseback, scratching his head with a puzzled frown on his face, looking back towards Isandlwana as he surveyed the battle away to his rear?

Peter
Coll

Hello Peter.

Yes. I'll keep my promise, just had a memory triggered.

It's me only wishing to know, why maybe the RE Corps, didn't want a painting to show the heroism of one of their own, in the same way the 24th were depicted by Fripp on the same Isandlwana battlefield, even though the event itself was a tragic defeat.

When you know of the rivalry that existed between units, I'd think the RE wouldn't like the opinions directed at Durnford, perhaps wanting to balance the heroic depiction, of him fighting at Isandlwana too, rather than being excluded.

When you think of De Neuville and Lady Butler's depictions of Rorke's Drift, showing members of various units, including Chard, albeit a successful defence, rather than disaster, you wonder why not a similar portrayal with the former ?

Even if only depicted in battle scenes as shown in the Graphic, etc., whether to show the bravery of all units involved, or even if just to portray Durnford in the mix of a bad situation, but not denying he also fought bravely.

With so much said/known about him around then, especially in Natal, you'd have thought, well, I would have thought, more images would have appeared of him, even as the culprit, not a martyr of any sort.

My triggered memory has now faded. Wink

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

Do you not think it's possible that at Chatham they thought: "Blimey! One of our mob mucked that one up good & proper. Let's keep our heads down for a while - and thank goodness for Chard"

P.
Coll

Peter

No, I don't believe so.

I'd think they'd have been suspicious too.

Yes, they'd have been proud of Chard, but wonder how a RE Colonel was being held to account for Isandlwana, when having joined a column dominated by the 24th and led by Chelmsford himself.

They'd know, through their own experiences(?), that Durnford would have been an outsider in that company.

I figure they'd have smelled a rat (or two Evil or Very Mad )

Coll
The Lt.

The above have been the most spoken words that have appeared on this thread and interesting. Ran across another vintage photo.............The Lt.

The Lt.

It's the start of a new month and as alway wishing all a good month headed your way as I send along this months calendar...........The Lt.

Alan
Site Admin

Good to see you up and running Lt.

Thanks Alan an it's nice being up an running as I return to the field of Isandlwana on the faithful day of January 22nd 1879..........The Lt.

TO BE CONTINUED
Special Artist

Ahhh, wonderful, Lt, to see the old Cliff Sanderson figures out; I have a small set of these myself that my dad bought when they first came out. You must have been inspired, as I was as a kid, when that marvellous diorama of Younghusband's last stand was made out of them and featured in Military Modelling back in the mid 70s - it ended up in Brecon museum and was there for some years (is it still?).
The Lt.

Special Artist wrote:
Ahhh, wonderful, Lt, to see the old Cliff Sanderson figures out; I have a small set of these myself that my dad bought when they first came out. You must have been inspired, as I was as a kid, when that marvellous diorama of Younghusband's last stand was made out of them and featured in Military Modelling back in the mid 70s - it ended up in Brecon museum and was there for some years (is it still?).

I picked up my first sets of figures in the early 80's Specal Artist and got hooked painting by first group of figures of the 24th Foot insprired by the photos on pages 2 & 3 appearing in The Encyclopedia of Military Modeling published in 1981 of the Battle of Rorke's Drift created by modeler Bill Brewer and hooked ever since in collecting figures of the period. I started collecting figures earnestly when Conte Collectibles introduce his Zulu War Playsets in 1999 and continue to this date. Being from the USA I've no idea if the Younghusband's diorama is still at the Brecon Museum.

Continuing as well as ending this photo series taken from my staged photo diorama feature the latest of my figures from Conte Collectibles........The Lt.

The Scorer

Special Artist wrote:
You must have been inspired, as I was as a kid, when that marvellous diorama of Younghusband's last stand was made out of them and featured in Military Modelling back in the mid 70s - it ended up in Brecon museum and was there for some years (is it still?).

I visited the SWB Museum at the end of June, and among my collection of photographs I have one described as "The Final Battle Diorama".

I'm pretty sure that this is Younghusband's last stand. As my visit was after the remodelling of the Zulu War Room (which is pretty effective, by the way), it should still be there.

Smile
The Lt.

Once again featurig my Cliff Sanders 24th Ft. featured this time with the Conte Collectible Pastics Zulu figures I painted as their foe as the camp is being over run.......The Lt.

The Lt.

Ran across a selection of black and white photos taken by our infamous photographer.................The Lt.

The Telling of The Zulu War with Toy Soldiers