rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Telling of The Zulu War with Toy Soldiers
The Lt.

I'm currently telling the story of the Zulu War using my Toy Soldiers and Military Miniatures on three Toy Soldier Forums starting with the Battle of Islandwana and currently at the Battle of Rorke's Drift. Like Sir Stanley Baker and Cy Enfidfield I've taken liberties in it's telling but the individuals who took part in the events of the 22nd and 23rd are accurate as well as the story line. For those of you whose curiousity I may have arosed and would like to check out my telling of the events with Toy Soldiers log on to www.hobbybunker.com/forum scanning to Dioramas and then to The Zulu War. I'm sure this will be a topic for discussion and debate. Looking forward to your comments.....The Lt. Joe Q.
John Lundy

Hi Joe,
I have just registered and had a look. Very nice dioramas. What brand of figures do you use? I have just bought a few from a chap on eBay (Clash of Arms) and I have an officer from Traditions in London.

John
The Lt.

John my collection consist of Toy Soldiers from Trophy of Wales, Little Legion, Frontline, Conte, Kingcast, ANI to included Military Miniatures Kits which I've painted from Hinchliffe, Monarch, MINIMEN, New Hope Design, and Tradition. The photos are a number of mini dioramas stage using the background and building I built to set the scenes and to tell my story. It's been nice getting back to my second childhood setting up and playing with my collection. Glad to hear you've taken the time and thanks for your comments. Hope others will do like wise..........Joe (aka The Lt.)

Last edited by The Lt. on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
The Lt.

Since being transfer to this section of the forum I thought I begin at Rorke's Drift Creating the event using my Toy Soldiers to tell the story. Using Lieutenant Chard's Map of The Commissary Stores and Hospital as a guide along with various drawings I built both the Hosptail and The Storehouse and added their defensive perimiters. Not perfect but realatively close. Featured are the Hospital, Wagons and mealiebag walls connecting the Hospital to The Storehous, the Biscuit Boxes, Last Redoubt and the well built Kraal. The Story to follow..........The Lt.

The Lt.

After listening to Acting Assistant Commissary James Langley Dalton who convinced them that if caught in the open and being heavily out numbered the would stand no chance for survival. Lieutenants Chard and Bromhead agree that the garrisison would make a stand and quickly it becomes a beehive of activity.......The Lt.

Private John Connolly/906 exchanges a few words on his way to the hospital with Private Frederick Hitch/1326 as he climbs to the top of the Storhouse as commanded by Lt. Chard.

Privates John Lyons/1441, John Manley'1721 and Henry Martin/756 are on their way with ammo boxes to be opened.

Private George Edwards/922 begins to leave the storehouse lugging a case of ammo while Private James Dick/1634 opens one with a bayonet.

As Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne//2459 watches Private Hitch's progress climbing the roof.

The Lt.

The members of B Company 24th Regiment of Foot continu preparing for the on coming attack....The Lt.

The Lt.

A cry of "Stand to!" echoed around the post as Colour- Segeant Bourne and members of B Company ran and took their places at the barricades. There were between 500-600 of the iNdluyengwe in the first rush and at 500 yards Chard gave the order to fire and at 450 yards the men of B Company were firing coolly and accurately......The Lt.

The Lt.

Never the less the Zulu attack continued......The Lt.

Last edited by The Lt. on Mon May 28, 2007 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
The Lt.

Private Edwards after returning to the Commissary Store starts his return trip with another case of ammunition. Private Marin drops off another case of ammo while private Dick prys open another as Reverend George Smith hands an ammo pack to Coporal George French/582. In the mean time private Samuel Perry/1399 dashes off with a helmet full of ammo as private Robert Norris/1257 is checking the remaining pouches available....The Lt.

Alan
Site Admin

Have you thought of doing this as a Powerpoint presentation?

Alan wrote:
Have you thought of doing this as a Powerpoint presentation?

Alan I'm not familiar with the term Powerpoint and have no idea of what it's about or does .........Joe (aka The Lt.)
Alan
Site Admin

Joe,
it's a software program which moves from page to page. Images and text can appear and fade in or out.
Try downloading the Powerpoint version of one of my trips at

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/stories/2005_tour.htm

Alan wrote:
Joe,
it's a software program which moves from page to page. Images and text can appear and fade in or out.
Try downloading the Powerpoint version of one of my trips at

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/stories/2005_tour.htm

Alan I like the idea but not being a wiz kid at this time will I be able to down load the program from the link you''ve posted. It worked for me showing your trip an placing the trip in my photo albums. What else must I do. Will the link you've given me accomplish it's end and would you mind as you find the time sending me an e-mail with how to go about it along with what I shoud do with what's been posted. Also I'd like to change my current e-mail address. Will hold up on posting until I hear from you and am able to us the powerpoint.....Joe
The Lt.

Private Perry after refilling his sevice helmet dashes off as he passes the Reverend Smith once again by the side of Coporal French hands him another packet of bullets. At the barricade closest to the hospital Lieutenants Bromhead, Adendorff along with Second Coporal Francis Attwood/24692 and two privates of B Company continuing firing at the approaching Zulus.......The Lt.

The Lt.

The Zulu attack has not wavered for a moment and it seems as though nothing will stop them......The Lt.

The Telling of The Zulu War with Toy Soldiers